[SOLVED] Ability to connect to video outside of camera roll

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
J1000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

[SOLVED] Ability to connect to video outside of camera roll

Post by J1000 »

Please add the ability to connect laps to videos outside of the camera roll to add the Overlay.

Instead of getting TrackVision, I took video from my GoPros, edited to the correct duration based on the track start/finish line in the video in Final Cut Pro, and want to overlay the Laptimer Pro info onto it. The inability to browse for video to connect to outside of the camera roll almost stopped me from being able to do this. I used a Mac program called iPhone Explorer to push my exported video into the Camera Roll and was able to successfully overlay the Laptimer info onto my GoPro footage within the phone, but it was a pain in the backside compared to just browsing a video in an album on the phone and connecting it. The results were really good:

http://youtu.be/Nn28qfEQXPQ
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ability to connect to video outside of camera roll

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Actually LapTimer shows videos from all folders. Problem is, that the list of videos shown is cached somewhere between LT and the Photo app. The result is that changes to the Photo library are not reflected until LT is started again. So to find videos outside the camera roll, kill LT and start it again.

Sorry for the inconvenience, this is on my list of long lasting issues...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
J1000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by J1000 »

Thanks for the quick reply, Harry. I've been working with it a little further, and I guess the issue is that video doesn't exist in the photo app outside of the camera roll. Video added to the phone goes into the iPod/Videos app, and isn't accessible. I worked out another workaround using an app called Downloader Lite (free) to copy my video back into the camera roll, but had a new issue. I associated it with a lap in LT Pro, and in the lap properties, the video is still 720P (1280x720), but once I click overlay, when it re-renders the video to add the overlay, it squishes it to 640x480, which is not only smaller, but loses the aspect ratio. The earlier test workaround I did didn't have this effect. Is there any way within the app to correct this? I could open it in Final Cut and stretch it back out, but I've still lost a bunch of resolution and have a much smaller output video.
1-before-overlay.jpg
1-before-overlay.jpg (64.41 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
3-after-overlay.jpg
3-after-overlay.jpg (65.98 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The resolution topic should be fixed in the upcoming 14.4
Please check again, once it is available (1-2 weeks).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
J1000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by J1000 »

Oh, ok, good deal. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for building and maintaining this app; it really is fantastic!