Stage Rally - Timer/recording

Request and discussion on new / to change features
zeusbap
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Stage Rally - Timer/recording

Post by zeusbap »

Hi all,

I'd like to suggest a "Stage Rally" function added to HLT. This request is different than the existing thread requesting road rally support, and I think it can be a little simpler to program since it would be used more as a reference, rather than used to define your speed for a perfect finish. Stage rally consists of a series of 'stages' (or routes) through closed roads, typically dirt or gravel.

Currently, all driving modes in HLT require the user to have the route pre-defined before racing. However, I think it would be very useful to have a mode where you can run any route on-the-fly. This 'stage rally' mode would be triggered as a standing start, and the finish line is inputted manually as you cross the 'flying finish'.

Functionality request:
- Start line activation: Arm HLT to begin recording the stage as if it were a 'standing start'. Can use GPS time-based intervals, as suggested here.
- GPS and accelerometer recording during the stage for viewing later. Degrees of yaw (if possible) would be a fun data point as well.
- Useful data to have on screen during recording = elapsed time, current on-stage distance, and a big "Finish" button. If stage has been run earlier that day (or previous year), it would be cool to have a ghost car, but that gets into more advanced programming and extra selections to the user that may not be necessary for this mode.
- Finish button will end stage recording and save stage to memory.

Again, I hope this is a little more straightforward than the road rally needs, and maybe can be used as a starting point. Since this idea uses manual start/finish inputs, this mode could also be used as an impromptu autocross run (if you don't have time to walk the course, for ex).

That all being said, I will be navigating at Rally America's Oregon Trail this year. If I can get the start/finish GPS coordinates beforehand, I might input a few and use HLT on stage. But that's contingent on me getting coordinates and having extra time before the event...

PS: I've been using HLT for 1.5 years now, and I just pulled the trigger on an external GPS and GoPoint OBDII reader for this season for use in my new E46 M3. Can't wait!
zeusbap
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Stage Rally - Timer/recording

Post by zeusbap »

Alright, so after a bit of experimenting here and there, I finally got a good run with HLT. I posted this feature request a while back and want to clarify and itemize the request a little.

Example Stage Rally video:
https://youtu.be/30a2gUN2MKc

1) When in the Prepare Race - Load Track menu, it would be nice to have an 'Unspecified' option that starts with a clean slate. In rally, most stages are only run once, so you don't have time to set your start/finish locations beforehand. The way I made this video was to select a local track, then I just started recording manually. It worked, but it wasn't ideal.

2) Once we pull up to the start line, we have about 45 seconds to get ready before the green light. Instead of recording and overlaying 30+ seconds of waiting, I would like HLT to recognize when we start moving (either by GPS or accelerometer) and trigger a 'new lap' so that boring 30s of video can be cut out during the overlay process, except for maybe 3-5 seconds of countdown.
- Bonus feature: start time could snap to closest 15 second interval, since usually organizers link their Official Rally Time to the atomic clock, so this should give an exact start time. (This was a request in the road rally start trigger thread here)

3) Similarly, for the finish time, it would be nice to have a "FINISH" button on the screen, which would trigger the END of the lap. Exact frame for start and finish could later be adjusted manually, similar to the video sync adjustment feature.

4) Add MILEAGE (distance travelled) display on overlay. Would be super handy when reviewing later.