BRZ/FRS update rates?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
cgroppi
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

BRZ/FRS update rates?

Post by cgroppi »

Could those people with BRZ/FRSs post what OBD2 update rates they're getting with HLT?

I have a Chinese knockoff Kiwi PLX wifi clone, with an iPhone 5s and a XGPS160. I was getting about 2 Hz before enabling the CAN multi request option. Now I am up to 4-5 Hz but am wondering if I can get an even higher update rate with a different ODB2 dongle, or if the slowish update rate is just the car.

Edit: I excluded a bunch of irrelevant PIDs and now get a solid 5 Hz, which I bet will be fine. More is always better, though. I'd prefer 10 Hz.

-Chris
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BRZ/FRS update rates?

Post by Harry »

As it seems your car has a CAN bus, 5 Hz with parallel requests is pretty slow. Check the OBD Benchmarks post some topics above to see some samples for genuine adapters.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
cgroppi
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by cgroppi »

Success!

I rolled the dice and ordered an OBDLink MX WiFi. I figured most of the complaints involved the infrastructure mode needed to use it in concert with a GoPro, which I don't use.

It seems to work fine, and I was able to get update rates of 18-20 Hz with CAN multi request enabled. And that is with no PIDs disabled. That's quite the improvement.

Now, to see if I can get the thing to work reliably. I have yet to test it at an autocross event, just in the driveway. I was able to maintain a connection with no trouble for 10 minutes or more, but I won't be fully convinced until I see it work reliably for an entire autocross event.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, it is really fast! Keep my fingers cross for the reliability. :-)
Image Image Image Image
cgroppi
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by cgroppi »

I tried the ODBLink MX WiFi for the first time today at an event. It worked perfectly all day. No connection problems, and HLT connected quickly each time I slept the phone then turned it on again.

Note, this is NOT with a GoPro. Just the ODBLink with HLT.