Odblink MX Wifi a scam!

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Odblink MX Wifi a scam!

Post by Harry »

The app is there, but the firmware isn't yet. It is still 4.05/4.1 which do not address the wifi issues.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

Harry wrote:The app is there, but the firmware isn't yet. It is still 4.05/4.1 which do not address the wifi issues.

Harry
I am heading to the track this weekend (last time was in October), crazy that this still isn't fixed. I really appreciate that you're keeping up with this and keeping us informed Harry, thanks!
petertom
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by petertom »

Hello Harry,
I'm trying to get get my OBDLink MX WiFi working with HLT Petrolhead on iPhone 5, Skypro XGPS160 and Mazda MX-5 2006 (NC1). I've bought HLT and OBD and GPS hardware in January and now I'm figuring out how this stuff works. I've made some custom track sets with different triggers, try automatic track detection and manual video recording with overlay. In the beginning everything seem to work well, but there is no constant OBD connection and/or no recording of OBD data. So it happens that Obd data is there up to lap 3 and from lap 4 and the next ones no OBD is recorded or present in the video overlay, (overlay of GPS and g-force is ok). On the "track" the OBD data throttle, rpm, gear were visible, so I recognized that there was no OBD recording after processing the video overlay. At the time HLT connects sometimes with OBDLink MX on first start, but when I stop the engine/ignition and start again neither OBDLink app, nor HLT connect to the OBDLink, both apps try to connect to 192.168.0.10:35000 while iOS WLan setting shows an OBD connection on 192.168.0.20 . The only way to reconnect is to stop ignition, unplug and replug the OBDLink, restart the iPhone. Do you have an idea what's going wrong and how to fix that problem?
petertom
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

@petertom,

I'd suggest to check the Scantool forum for issues with the WiFi connection (https://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?board=47.0). Although I do not get these drop outs for my test adapters, it seems to be an issues some users face. Oddly there is still no firmware update available - although promised for several month already.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

Does anyone know if a firmware update has posted yet?

I have another track day coming up in a month, really hope they fix this in time!
macduff
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by macduff »

Given the delays that have occurred updating this functionality I think it's only fair to cross-link this thread with the recent OBDLink MX Wifi thread discussing this issue:
https://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=11001.0

Hopefully this will alert the MX WiFi team to how many users this is effecting.
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

So according to the Scantool rep in the thread linked above, a firmware update is not needed to use infrastructure mode. Can you confirm this Harry (or anybody else)?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, with the current firmware it is not working reliably.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

Interesting and too bad.....

Also on their site was a very easy to follow guide on how to use "infrastructure" mode. Makes me wonder if part of the problem could be how the GoPro wifi network works (i.e. the GoPro does not like having more than one device on its WiFi network).
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

I wrote OBD Solutions (the actual people that make the MX WIFI hardware) about the issues and the lack of communication and firmware update. They said they are working on the firmware, but they cannot release for reasons beyond their control. He did not get into details about any date but it seems like they are still working on it.

I want to keep the adapter because it seems to be the fastest out there, and being Wifi I like that it would just connect to the GoPro network. It's just frustrating on the lack of communication and the lack of fixing the issues :/