Choppy overlay video Android V18.1

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
petik0
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Choppy overlay video Android V18.1

Post by petik0 »

I took the same video but generated regular mpeg4 with qscale set to 3 (higher quality) and reran overlay for one lap. This time I'm also including the session datalog from Harry's in case you (Harry) can try to actually run the overlay on your device. You may be able to confirm if the original recording is the culprit or the encoder that is being used on these particular devices if yours happen to overlay cleanly.

I'm going to have to take these videos down from google in a few days since I've a size limit there and some are quite large.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxWx9e ... sp=sharing
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

@bulls23 You said the frames of the overlaid video do not change for 5 frames in a line. Is this true for both the frame content and the overlay or the frame content only? Is it always 5 frames?
@petik0 Can you please generate a trace log following the instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1933 Please enable the following trace classes: Video, FFmpeg, Overlay. Please do not select anything else, when tracing the overlay process for a lap, the named three trace classes will generate a huge log already :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Harry wrote:@bulls23 You said the frames of the overlaid video do not change for 5 frames in a line. Is this true for both the frame content and the overlay or the frame content only? Is it always 5 frames?
Forget about that, as I wrote my browser was giving me the Youtube rendered versions of the videos to download.
After downloading the raw material I checked again. If you watch the overlayed video frame by frame the position changes each frame and the overlay time stamp increases by 0:00.17 with each frame.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

But 0:00.17 means either you do not see all frames (e.g. key frames only), or the effective fps is 5 to 6...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Harry wrote:But 0:00.17 means either you do not see all frames (e.g. key frames only), or the effective fps is 5 to 6...

- Harry
Exactly...those 5-6 fps in return are what you see as repetitive frames in the Youtube encoded version, as if Youtube is identifying the video as 5-6 fps material and therefore repeating frames to end up with 30fps.
Really looks like the encoding is messed up, especially because the different software-players give you different results and things like black screens in Quicktime.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

bulls23 wrote:
Harry wrote:@bulls23 You said the frames of the overlaid video do not change for 5 frames in a line. Is this true for both the frame content and the overlay or the frame content only? Is it always 5 frames?
If you watch the overlayed video frame by frame the position changes each frame and the overlay time stamp increases by 0:00.17 with each frame.
The above frame by frame was using VLC which displays the choppy style video.
Learned how to do frame by frame in WMP and there the time stamp jumps in 0:00.03 or 0:00.04 steps (as it should for 30 fps) while giving you a fluid but artifacted playback.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k., so this means there are different frames with different overlays at a 30 fps rate. So it is indeed a pure encoding problem...

Setting compression rates /quality (and resulting frame patterns) so it achieves a well defined bitrate for MPEG4 (and H.264) has been one of the non trivial areas with LapTimer's video framework. Seems I need to recheck this area nevertheless... However, it seems to be related to the video processed too - otherwise this would be a regular issue.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
petik0
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by petik0 »

OK, i collected the trace and sent you an email with it. I also put it up on the drive here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxWx9e ... sp=sharing
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I can't load either the raw or overlaid GoPro videos into either VideoRedo or the latest version of GoPro Studio. There's something odd about the format. It does seem acceptable to Handbrake, though.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

VideoReDo says the clips are MPEG4 Part 2, which it doesn't support. That's the old divX/Xvid standard, according to ffmpeg.org, that was replaced by H.264. I'm betting that's the problem with that video anyway. Somehow the GoPro H.264 video was converted to the old standard. The fact that it won't load into GoPro Studio means it isn't the original format from the camera.

You must have a flag set or are missing some libraries somewhere in ffmpeg that's causing the conversion to MPEG4 part 2. Both the HQ and the lower bit rate videos are MPEG4 Part 2. I have very little experience with ffmpeg so I can't help with finding the problem.