Lap list is empty after updating to 18.3.4

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Lap list is empty after updating to 18.3.4

Post by GlnkNL »

I just updated my Harrys Laptimer to version 18.3.4. To my surprise my lap list is empty now. I made sure the filter is clear and checked the database by using the check data button. It didn't resolve my issue.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lap list is empty after updating to 18.3.4

Post by Harry »

Hi,

I assume the database has been saved as a backup. No idea what made this happen, please send a Contact mail from within the app so I check the System.log. To recover your data, please follow the instructions available here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2433#p12645

When iOS updates an app, it copies the new app to a new folder. Once this is done, any content sitting in the old app version's documents folder is moved over to the new app version. Finally the old folder is deleted. I assume there occurred some issue during this operation...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

Harry wrote:Hi,

LapTimer stores databases either when a lap is finished, or when the app is sent to background. In case one of these items have been done after the transfer and before the crash, you will find your laps to be part of the latest recovery database. Please check if you find a recent recovery database first.

To do this, download either iBrowse or iFunbox - both are free tools available for PCs and Macs. Once installed, connect the iPad and scroll down to the LapTimer app / Documents. This folder will show lots of .pdb files representing your current database, and sub folders named "recovery*". Inspect the recovery directories for recent timestamps to identify a candidate for restore.

Make sure the LapTimer app is not alive and kill the process to be sure.

Before restoring, copy all .pdb files from the Documents folder to your desktop. In case the recovery approach does not work, it is good to have that backup...

Next, delete all .pdb, .pdb.save and .pdb.dirty / other dot files in Documents. This step is important!

Copy all .pdb files from the restore candidate up to the Documents folder.

Finally, pray and start LapTimer and check if you find your laps.

- Harry
I don't have a Harry's Laptimer / Documents folder:

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Select "Apps" instead of "Media" in the top center.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

It doesnt want to let me out of Media. I'm trying iFunbox now
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When pressing Media, you get a drop down list including "Apps".
Image Image Image Image
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

Thanks Harry. I succesfully restored the backup database using iFunBox. My laps are back in the lap list. Do you any idea how this happened?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When iOS updates an app, it copies the new app to a new folder. Once this is done, any content sitting in the old app version's documents folder is moved over to the new app version. Finally the old folder is deleted. I assume there occurred some issue during this operation...
Image Image Image Image
rrankins
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rrankins »

I think this happened to me as well after the upgrade.
Unfortunately, I didn't realize it until after I ran my first event this year and went to compare lap times with last year's lap times and all my prior laps were missing from the lap list (but the videos are all still there).

I just used Funbox to browse the files and found 3 recovery folders:

recoveryDBs20140906-112301
recoveryDBs20140927-161443
recoveryDBs20150120-160640

the most recent folder, recoveryDBs20150120-160640 has the most files in it, so I assume that one has the most complete set of my prior laps?

How do I go about restoring my prior laps while keeping the current laps in my database?
Can I restore to another device (e.g., an iPad) and then transfer those laps back into my iphone?
When I restore the missing lap files, will they resync with the videos that are still on my phone?

Thanks,
Ray
rrankins
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rrankins »

Never mind. I found the FAQ that described what I needed to do.

http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewto ... =39&t=2626

I exported my current lap lists via email as an hlptrl file.
Used iFunbox to delete the current .pdb and .pdb.save files and then copied in the .pdb files from the most recent recovery folder that I backed up previously (thanks for making these visible via iTunes file sharing as the application files were not accessible otherwise via iFunbox or iBrowse).

Started LapTimer back up and my previous lap files were all there - yay!
Then I opened the email I sent the hlptrz file to and brought back my most recent lap recordings.
And yes, it re-synced the laps with the videos still on the phone.

I'm a happy camper now.
And I made sure to backup everything again to an hlptrl file once I had all my laps back.

Thanks,
Ray