Timer View Redesign

Request and discussion on new / to change features
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Timer View Redesign

Post by bulls23 »

xps911 wrote:can you record the brake pedal ? be good to see how much brake is being applied etc.

also what happened with virtual best lap? I can't seem to see that anymore
Unfortunately brake pressure is not part of the standard OBD2 set...it might be available for a lot of cars thought but on a proprietary manufacturer PID.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The virtual best has never been available as a reference. One could think about adding "Virtual Best" to the current options "Best", "Last", "Lap #xy", but that is a topic not specific to any individual view. Virtual best times are visible in the analytics area, both in "Lap Details" and "Laps".

Brake pedal is not standardized in OBD and not available in LapTimer. Longitudinal acceleration is a good replacement. However, I'd display neither in the Timer View as you will not be able to use these values in real time. They are interesting for post event analysis only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ambordokan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ambordokan »

Harry, I have a question about the lap display: it could be bigger to be easier to see, we could set up upfront a determined number of laps and have it countdown so we know were we are at a race without having to relay on the officials plates.

Also, I raced yesterday and tried to use this counter, it was hard to see and it showed all my laps of the day (including the warmup session 3 hours before). Is there a way to reset it to show the number of laps in the CURRENT session?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

ambordokan wrote:Harry, I have a question about the lap display: it could be bigger to be easier to see, we could set up upfront a determined number of laps and have it countdown so we know were we are at a race without having to relay on the officials plates.

Also, I raced yesterday and tried to use this counter, it was hard to see and it showed all my laps of the day (including the warmup session 3 hours before). Is there a way to reset it to show the number of laps in the CURRENT session?
Lap # is the lap of the day. It would be easy to make it a split display like 2 / 5 meaning 2nd lap of session, 5th lap of day.

The numbers shown are a lot bigger than those you get currently (even in portrait they are not that big). Making them even larger would mean to remove other information. As an option it may be good to allow a full screen digit only display one gets by tapping into the large digits...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ambordokan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ambordokan »

Harry wrote:
ambordokan wrote:Harry, I have a question about the lap display: it could be bigger to be easier to see, we could set up upfront a determined number of laps and have it countdown so we know were we are at a race without having to relay on the officials plates.

Lap # is the lap of the day. It would be easy to make it a split display like 2 / 5 meaning 2nd lap of session, 5th lap of day.

The numbers shown are a lot bigger than those you get currently (even in portrait they are not that big). Making them even larger would mean to remove other information. As an option it may be good to allow a full screen digit only display one gets by tapping into the large digits...

- Harry
Would be nice to have this toggle feature for the laps ran in this session available right now. Honestly, I don't quite underestand the use of knowing in realtime how many laps I did the whole day. I can only see the necessity to know the laps I'm doing.

Cheers
Srcypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Srcypher »

Consider the core items needed to make this "my new dash"
if you had rev limit color bar warnings, like some of the other lap timers/data acquisition, I could stick this right on top of my stack display and use the iPhone instead.

(I'd put it on the wheel, but I think that might mess up the calibration)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The rev information has been removed because it duplicates your dashboard (so it would break the principles applied). The value LapTimer adds while driving (for most users) is the shift flash. The shift flash will be displayed on top of everything once you go beyond the configured limit. Makes sense?

Harry
Image Image Image Image
forty-two
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by forty-two »

I like the redesign. As always, I'm very impressed with LapTimer, and Harry's dedication and support of this app.

One suggestion - on the Gap view, rather than having a smallish green/red bar under the gap time, could you make the whole gap time box change green/red as appropriate? This would make it easy to see whether one was ahead/behind with a quick glance.

Something like:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9 ... directlink
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, coloring the bar in green or red is misleading anyway as the bar shows the time won/lost so far while the color will indicate whether your are winning / losing currently. The bar will be vertical in addition to show a more "natural" orientation.
Image Image Image Image
bobbyw
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bobbyw »

This redesign looks EXCELLENT.