xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

External mic or change audio source?

Post by xps911 »

Hi,
I have mounted my gopro on top of the windscreen
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3P1C1QOYxQ[/youtube]

I love the view, but the sound is well windy :)

Can you change the audio source to use the internal video ?

Has anyone had any experience with an external mic on the gopro ? Do they do wireless ones? as I'm not that keen on a cable going from the roof to wherever I put the mic? thoughts ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: External mic or change audio source?

Post by Harry »

To my knowledge, the HEROs do not come with an external mic connector... However, who knows what future models bring. I do not see it makes to much sense to plug a cabled mic into an action cam (too complicated), but a BT connection would be great. LapTimer is not flexible in letting the user chose the audio stream currently. It is always the master video's audio channel that is used. So to e.g. add an audio stream recorded in car / in engine compartment / etc. with a separate device, you need to add this audio stream to the GoPro video before you add it to your smartphone for overlaying. This requires a simple video editor and some some manual synchronization between GoPro video and external audio stream.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

[Moved to Accessories / Audio]
Image Image Image Image
xps911
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by xps911 »

thanks for the reply. An interesting idea to add the audio source after, but what I love about the harrys laptimer is that it doesnt take long to do, and that would be another process, to add into the mix.

Have you any thoughts on being able to select the audio? As I could quite happily purchase a BT mic for the iphone, and have it mounted somewhere, which would be recorded from the iphone footage.

HERO do to an external microphone, it's an official usb to aux: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GoPro-3-5mm-Her ... 00A3MY7L8/

but you will need a new case: http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Skelet ... 00ITHMOLO/

and then a microphone of some sort, but the idea of a cable flapping around at speed..........
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

External mic or change audio source?

Post by Harry »

The selectable audio stream is on my list, but is not scheduled yet. Haven't been aware on the HERO mic but agree adding cables to the roof is not great.
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Harry wrote:The selectable audio stream is on my list, but is not scheduled yet. Haven't been aware on the HERO mic but agree adding cables to the roof is not great.
Bump, so I have 2 videos recorded with GoPro 3 with external mic.

The first session - GoPro was NOT recognized by HLT or that's what it seems like because when I check individual laps from that session, there is no link to video. When I play raw video, sound was picked up via mic

The second session - GoPro was recognized by HLT. I then imported video to my iPhone via iTunes. Then I went into each lap, deleted primary video taken by iPhone and then overlaid the videos taken by GoPro as the primary. However, the audio stream from the overlaid video seems like it was from iPhone (a lot of wind noise).

My question is, even when I delete the primary iPhone video, is HLT not able to pull the audio source from the GoPro (external mic)?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The audio stream is always taken from the master. In case this is the GoPro vid, the audio is from the GoPro vid too. Deleting a video always deletes the video and audio stream - it is one file :-)

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Harry wrote:The audio stream is always taken from the master. In case this is the GoPro vid, the audio is from the GoPro vid too. Deleting a video always deletes the video and audio stream - it is one file :-)

Harry
Actually my gopro is always slave and iPhone is master. I just delete the iPhone master afterwards so the gopro later defaults to master during overlay. Assuming I take these steps every time it seems I can never use audio from my gopro?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Once you make the GoPro the master, the GoPro's audio will be used...
Image Image Image Image
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by llan981 »

I have a GoPro 3 BE and bought a GoPro 3.5mm Mic Adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3M ... UTF8&psc=1

The I connected Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone. With the 20" wire connected to mic to GoPro and then pulled the wire from behind the front seats to above the exhaust pipe.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HJ ... UTF8&psc=1

The result is:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CRZNy-opT4[/youtube]

The master is the Iphone master was sitting on the windscreen and the GOPro is behind my front seat and I had another Iphone rear facing. I copy the GoPro video to my Iphone using iFUNBOX free software into the HLT "documents" directory on the IPhone. Then I open up HLT and go to the lap, add another video, (find) and Link the GoPro video, and then pulled the GOPro video and make it the master, kept the rear facing video and deleted the front headshot video. The audio track of the GoPro (main) becomes the soundtrack.