Bluetooth or WiFi for KiWi dongles?

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
glospete
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Bluetooth or WiFi for KiWi dongles?

Post by glospete »

Hi all
I'm new to the Forum and I have ordered a GoPro Hero+ camera, will buy Harry's LapTimer GP Edition but my question relates to OBD II dongles. I am looking at the KiWi versions and see that they do a Bluetooth and also a WiFi version. Which is best to use with Harry's LapTimer app and what are the relative advantages and disadvantages of each type.
Also I may buy the XGPS160 to add accuracy and does that affect the decision above?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bluetooth or WiFi for KiWi dongles?

Post by Harry »

The HERO blocks your wifi channel and will not allow addition of wifi accessories requiring their own network. All wifi dongles I'm aware of use their own AdHoc network and cannot join an existing HERO network. The only exception is the upcoming OBDLink MX (check http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html - it is in the bottom area). So a BT dongle is the better option but has its limitations too: there are not many BT OBD dongles that can be connected to iPhones (they require Apple certification). Starting in May you can get GoPoint's BT1 again - which is the recommended route besides the OBDLink MX. In case you can't wait, the only option available currently is the Kiwi Wifi 2 (with the limitations on parallel use with the HERO named above). Hope that at least clarifies the situation :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BND-GTR
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BND-GTR »

Keen to use HLT and was all ready to buy an iPod touch, external GPS and BT1A to use with my GoPro … and have realised BT1A are two months away.
sizoton
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by sizoton »

Harry wrote:The HERO blocks your wifi channel and will not allow addition of wifi accessories requiring their own network. All wifi dongles I'm aware of use their own AdHoc network and cannot join an existing HERO network. The only exception is the upcoming OBDLink MX (check http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html - it is in the bottom area). So a BT dongle is the better option but has its limitations too: there are not many BT OBD dongles that can be connected to iPhones (they require Apple certification). Starting in May you can get GoPoint's BT1 again - which is the recommended route besides the OBDLink MX. In case you can't wait, the only option available currently is the Kiwi Wifi 2 (with the limitations on parallel use with the HERO named above). Hope that at least clarifies the situation :-)

- Harry
Harry,

And and how is this connection (OBDLink MX)? I will need a router?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, the OBDLink MX has a web interface you can connect to and configure its network setup. It allows to select and join any network nearby - e.g. the GoPro's network. Once this is done, it connects to the network, it signals its address to LapTimer which in turn connects to it (in case it is connected to the GoPro network too). I have posted a general article on connection technologies some days ago, maybe it is of interest: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2322

- Harry
Image Image Image Image