Issue with XGPS150A and GoPoint BT1

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
kulbrand
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Issue with XGPS150A and GoPoint BT1

Post by kulbrand »

Running v18.0.15 GP on IOS7 on 4S, during track day over the weekend had an issue where the XGPS & the BT1 would not work together, when both were on together they both would work for a little while, but after a little while both would shut down and no timing/recording would start on track. The BT1 on it's own running with internal 4S GPS would run ok, but when starting the XGPS it all seam to get messed up.

Thoughts to what problem might be anyone else experienced something similar?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issue with XGPS150A and GoPoint BT1

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please make sure there are no other BT devices around - that's the by far most frequent issue with BT devices (both single and multiple). Furthermore, I got aware of a Bluetooth bug in iOS7.1 and iOS7.1.1 that is probably contributing here. It is said to be fixed in iOS7.1.2

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
jwmelvin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jwmelvin »

Yells around the paddock: "Hey, could you all please turn off Bluetooth on your phones and other devices so I can get my lap timer working?"
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

:-) Not necessary as BT is pretty well shielded by your car's body. Check hands free mobile operation and in car audio. And your co-driver...

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Even with everything else off, the combination of an XGPS160 and a BT1 was too unreliable this weekend. I can live without the OBD data. Position data is not optional. Any word on when 7.1.2 will appear?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Apple releases are absolutely unpredictable :-)
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I just bought a used iPhone 4s with iOS 7.0.6. I think I won't update the OS on in until 7.1.2 comes out and someone confirms that it does indeed work better with Bluetooth than 7.1.1.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Just noticed Racelogic updated their VBOX Laptimer App and they mention Bluetooth connectivity improvemwents for 7.1 in the change log:

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/vbox-la ... 38681?mt=8

Have they found something to tweak on the App and not on the firmware side? Just wanted to mention it...don't know if it's relevant here.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, talked to them. The change they applied has not completely fixed the issue. For this, an iOS7 update is needed. The problem fixed did not occur for LapTimer as it handles connections differently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image