Dual XGPS160

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by gplracerx »

Augustyniak wrote:Does anyone have any issues getting the 160 to provide updates to HLT? Mine regularly shows 0 Hz but is connected in the devices menu. Thoughts? Is there any particular order of operations you use?
When I start my car and the BT1 connects, I often lose the connection to the XGPS160, i.e. HLT reports 0 Hz. Killing and restarting HLT almost always works. Less drastic measures like pressing the home button to put the program in the background and then bringing it back up work sometimes. You can also try turning off Bluetooth in the settings menu and then turning it back on and reconnecting.
Augustyniak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Augustyniak »

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has some difficulty obtaining a connection the first time around. I have learned that I need to perform a similar number of actions as gplracerx above. Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It seems there is a general issue with BT connections not delivering data in iOS7.1 and 7.1.1. The problem has been filed by RL (related to their VBOX Sport). I hear Apple works on this and a fix is expected in 7.1.2 Keep my fingers cross

Harry
Image Image Image Image
jwmelvin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jwmelvin »

gplracerx wrote:After many false starts, I was finally able to update the firmware on my XGPS160 to 1.3.0 using the new version of the iPhone SkyPro app (2.2.0) on an iPhone 4. What seemed to work was to delete the app, reboot the phone and reload the app. In the meantime, I had also updated the iPhone OS to 7.1.1. Another thing I did was to get away from other BT devices.
I received my XGPS160 last night and have not been able to update to 1.3.0 using either an iPad Air or iPhone 5. Very frustrating. Tried all sorts of things. Always stayed at 0% and then reported complete.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Is it in 1.2.0 already?
Image Image Image Image
jwmelvin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jwmelvin »

Harry wrote:Is it in 1.2.0 already?
Yes it was 1.2.0.

This morning I had another go and it worked. Although I had tried all these things yesterday, perhaps not in the same sequence: forget all Bluetooth devices; delete Sky Pro app; hard reboot phone; reinstall Sky Pro; pair with XGPS160; update firmware. Also had the XGPS running on battery power and sitting in my car with me, whereas last night I had it plugged in charging and sitting next to me on the desk.

In any event, it was a great feeling to see the progress number climb after I had seen 0% so many times yesterday.

On my drive to the office, HLT seemed to record the route (manual timing start) with the XGPS and BT1 connected. Will be using a separate video solution going forward in hope to increase reliability. (Had very frequent 0Hz update rate from BT1 last event).

Still hoping that Apple does what it needs to to make the XGPS160 work optimally.
luke318is
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by luke318is »

Im buying one now...
luke318is
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by luke318is »

luke318is wrote:Im buying one now...

and it works perfectly with laptimer. Takes a minute to get its initial fix. I cant get it working with google maps using the recommended gps helper app, but thats a different issue entirely.

It runs at 10 HZ with harrys laptimer, and i assume will provide 10 times more accurate track timing and speed information!

want proof?

http://imgur.com/a/WkDQv

oh... im on android by the way :lol:
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

I just ordered one from The Pilot Shop: http://www.pilotshop.nl/contents/en-uk/ ... _1062.html
GlnkNL
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by GlnkNL »

Ok I received it and it seems to work. Version 1.2.0 out of the box.

Do I need to change any settings? The display refresh rate in HL is only 5hz by default.
So far it failed to record GPS on my second manual recording after doing a lap. Is that normal?

My procedure (which failed the 2nd, manual, recording):
1 Start in normal timer mode with auto record on and the gps connected
2 Finish a lap (point A to B) with auto start/stop
3 Drive on with the timer still stopped
4 Switch to manual 'Classic mode'
5 Start a new recording