Android Petrolhead OBDLink MX (bluetooth) debugging

Discussion related to external OBD and other sensors
magus4286
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Android Petrolhead OBDLink MX (bluetooth) debugging

Post by magus4286 »

Hi Harry,

I'm running HLT Petrolhead on a US Samsung Galaxy S4 and using an OBDLink MX bluetooth dongle connected to my 2008 BMW M3.

The OBD dongle connects fine to the phone and I can read data using both the OBDLink's included software and DashCommand, but HLT is giving me the "does not receive data at expected rate" error. Before moving to Android HLT, everything worked fine with the GoPoint BT1 and an iPod Touch 4th gen with the same car.

Any prior experience suggesting some expert settings that might cure this? I'll go ahead and send a debugging log today as well.

Thanks,
Mike
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Android Petrolhead OBDLink MX (bluetooth) debugging

Post by Harry »

Yes, received, will check that soon.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
BoomSpoon
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by BoomSpoon »

If you switch to sensor view does it ever show connected at 10mz or something similiar. I got this a few times with mine also and I pretty much before launching hlt when hold in the button on the obdlink mx to reset it prior to each use with hlt. It does seem to take about 40 secs to agree on the protocol and speed but does work in my case at least.
magus4286
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by magus4286 »

BoomSpoon wrote:If you switch to sensor view does it ever show connected at 10mz or something similiar. I got this a few times with mine also and I pretty much before launching hlt when hold in the button on the obdlink mx to reset it prior to each use with hlt. It does seem to take about 40 secs to agree on the protocol and speed but does work in my case at least.
It did randomly connect successfully once, for a period of time, and it displayed OBD data (e.g. RPM) on the GPS screen. But wasn't repeatable. I'll try the resetting thing tomorrow when my car comes back from the shop.

Thanks for the tip.
magus4286
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by magus4286 »

BoomSpoon wrote: hold in the button on the obdlink mx to reset it prior to each use with hlt.
Thank you! Hitting the reset button, even after launching HLT, did the trick pretty consistently at the track today.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The latest version of LapTimer has a new expert setting that allows the bus protocol selection tested first. This should shorten the initially protocol negotiations (if set correctly) and work around timeout issues.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gotthrottle
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by gotthrottle »

Thanks for posting this information. I have the same issue "does not receive data at expected rate" using OBDLink LX. I will try pushing the reset button during use and report back if it does not work.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please always add your complete configuration (phone, car, dongle).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
magus4286
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by magus4286 »

I should add that I ran HLT during three track sessions last Friday and seemed to have a good OBD connection in place with the OBDLink MX (no warnings after hitting reset button) before heading out on track for each session. Only one of the three recorded any OBD data, though.

I'm going to try to determine which protocol works (probably by using DashCommand or OBDLink software, one of which I recall showing which OBD II protocol is used during connection) and use the expert setting to force that protocol.
DHFiallo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by DHFiallo »

I'm getting the same issue. I have a HTC One(M8). The car is a 2003 Nissan 350Z. I have tried to exclude PID's to increase the rate, but it hovers around 1 maybe 2.
It's a Scantool OBDlink MX. It's included software shows acceptable rates as well as Torque Pro. I have tried to unpair and re-pair to see if that would help. Any suggestions? Help! Thank you in advance