Dual XGPS160

Discussion related to external and internal GPS / GLONASS / Galileo / BeiDou sensors
Srcypher
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Dual XGPS160

Post by Srcypher »

Anyone figure out a hard mount for the 160? It doesn't have a notched back like the 150.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I've been using duct tape to hold the rubber mat to the dashboard. It doesn't stick very well, but since the XGPS160 is light, it's good enough for an autocross.

Has anyone else been able to update the firmware from 1.1.0 using the Skypro app? I've tried with an iPhone4, an iPod Touch 4g and an iPad with the same result: the app crashes after it says it's removing the trip logs. Dual customer service is telling me I need to send it back to them to have the firmware updated. The crash type is Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT). My limited understanding of application programming is that this is a result of poor programming. I sent a crash log to Dual CS and have heard nothing since. My guess is that they contracted it out and aren't willing to spend any more money on it.

Btw, the trip logs are in KML format and update at 1Hz. KML does not allow time stamps on the data.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

But you can count the number of fixes and compare it to the overall time recorded.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Harry,

On the GPS screen in the upper left where the signal strength and number of satellites are displayed I get a colored dot that alternates between red and blue(I think) with the XGPS160. When a VBOX Sport is connected, the dot stays blue. Everything else seems to work. Is this a problem?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This means you get invalid fixes from time to time (or what LapTimer considers invalid). Blue means "valid" fix received, red means "invalid" fix received. The red dots do not necessarily disturb operation, but it is worth having a look into it. You need to log GPS communication using GPS Buddy to debug this, please check viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1933 for the step by step description.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

There are several things that are GPS related in the tracing section. Do I need to enable logging for anything other than GPS Sensors?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Log sent for Sensor Connection and GPS Sensors
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Checked the log. It seems the GGA NMEA sentence is not correctly terminated and generates the "invalid" status for these sentences. I'm absolutely sure on the type of termination problems because the logs do not show the complete sentence in case it is longer than 64 bytes. As I cannot reproduce this with my XGPS160 (firmware 1.2.0), this is probably fixed in this firmware version. I'd actually recommend to follow Dual supports recommendation to send it back / exchange the device. Due to the format problem, some GPS information will be missing currently: accuracy and height above sea.

I remember you use the XGPS160 for some time already? Is this a new effect? It is possible this effect occurs for certain configurations only (e.g. smaller height may keep the termination intact)...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I don't think this is new, but I'm not sure. It shows altitude and accuracy data in the app. The altitude data looks good. The slope indicator on the GPS page seems to work best with the XGPS160. My VBOX Sport has problems staying in the green on a cloudy day even with an external antenna. So even with a solid blue dot, the altitude data jumps around.

It's annoying that Dual didn't allow updating over the USB port and can't or won't fix their app, requiring me to send the device back to them. I already sent it back once to get the battery fixed. I guess the bug that won't allow updating could be in the 1.1.0 firmware. The odd thing, though, is that I can do trip logs with the app now, which supposedly I need 1.2.0 firmware to do.
38F/62R
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by 38F/62R »

gplracerx, like you I couldn't use the skypro app on my i Phone 4s to update the 160 firmware. I tried it multiple times, but it never worked. Was about to ship the unit back to dual. As a last resort my brother in law put the app on his iPad for me though. From there the update worked perfectly.