Please Help...Laptimer (std)

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
my848
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Please Help...Laptimer (std)

Post by my848 »

I just don't get it...how do I use it ?

Q1: Can I download all the tracks I go to all at once ? When I download Streets of Willow and Willow Springs (they are two
different tracks, but located very close to each other) I get RED explanation marks on both tracks under Lap List ?

Q2: I download Buttonwillow track. I see the Start/Finish POI in the set. I renamed it Start/Finish (buttonwillow). just for my reasons...
How do I now use it ? If I use the Set button in Racer's screen, It sets a new POI...
When I push GO the lap just starts...I haven't moved it...

-I goto Racer's screen
-Click on the tool on the left top, Select Buttonwillow track, my motorcycle and me
-Click on Go and it just starts...How do I define the start and stop points I want it to use ?

Or am I over thinking the whole thing ? Just goto Classic or Racer's screen, your the tool icon on the left top to set up track, bike and racer
and that's it...when I pass the Start/Finish line it will automatically start lapping ?

thx!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please Help...Laptimer (std)

Post by Harry »

Hi,

on Q1: LapTimer uses the smallest rectangular containing to analyze conflicts. In case you are sure both tracks will not conflict by taking the real shape - ignore the exclamation mark.

on Q2: Do not use the Go / Stop button here. They are for manual timing only. LapTimer will start timing automatically by using the triggers contained in the track set. To change a trigger name, you goto LapList, select the track's POI list, select the POI, press 'Edit' and change the name. Please note, this will remove the certification status of the track. Your laps will not be available in the track's Hall of Fame anymore. The Set button (as well as the small +Flag button in the GPS or Map view) create a new POI / trigger. This is used for new track creation only. To get some information on this, please read http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Trigger_Logik.html and http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ozinger
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ozinger »

I have a couple of questions. As I have never really been able to use this app since I have bought it last summer.

1. Do I have to calibrate the app?
2. How should the iPhone be positioned? Upright, meaning the home button on the bottom, and ear speaker on top, is that correct?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

To start with standard operation, this is from he Quick Reference in LapTimer:

In case you drive a predefined track, things are easy:
  • Load the track: during your track day preparations, navigate to Add-ons and load the track you need.
  • Mount your device in a position with good receiving conditions (see ,GPS Quality‘ below). Consider using a power supply as LapTimer will drain the batterie quite fast when using all features.
  • Start LapTimer, agree to using regulations, and switch to an appropriate view (like Classic, Timer, Speedometer, or Racer).
  • Leave the pits and race. LapTimer will calibrate your device‘s acceleration sensor automatically and start / stop laps when the predefined triggers are passed. You neither need, nor must press any button while racing!
The reason I reply like this is, that calibration should be considered as something that actually works in background and should not get too much attention. At least as long as you proceed like written above. Two important steps for calibration. During steps 2 and 3 you must not drive. Instead, these steps should be performed in the pits while standing still. Once LapTimer is started, calibration will neutralize gravity, which makes 80% of calibration. The rest is done the first time you accelerate or brake hard driving a straight line.

On the mounting: Yes, LapTimer needs to be in an almost upright position although some pitch (rotation around the horizontal axis) and gear (rotation around the upward axis) is allowed.

Greetings Harald

P.S. To fully understand the calibration process, goto the Acceleration View and bring up the calibration assistant (use the small wrench in the top left).
Image Image Image Image
ozinger
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ozinger »

Thanks for the quick reply! I have a follow up question just to clarify on mounting. So the iPhone could be positioned in either portrait or landscape mode? Is that right? Since if you use the video feature you would probably want to have it in the landscape.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Landscape is supported for the Video View only. As soon as you turn the iPhone, it will recalibrate in background (same rules apply as written above). The 'normal' mode of operation is in portrait. This orientation is mandatory for all views except Video View.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image