Telemetry Analysis Software

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
siemi637
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by siemi637 »

Hello All,
New to the Forum, but user of Harry's Laptimer for about 6months.

I have seen quite a few topics on video overlay, but would like to know if anyone knows of software dedicated for telemetry analysis. I have used Dashware or similar and they have some telemetry analysis features, but it is limited.

I want to analysis the data from my laps to see where I can speed up/slow down to speed up my overall laptimes.

Thoughts would be great. Thanks
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Telemetry Analysis Software

Post by bulls23 »

Take a look at Circuit Tools from Racelogic, it's free:

http://www.videovbox.co.uk/index.php/co ... tools.html

Laptimer has the vbo export function, which is the data format you need for Circuit Tools. The only downside is that it is very specialized for the VBOX from Racelogic and does not really like sample rates below 10Hz. v16 of Laptimer will interpolate the values up to 10Hz and it should work a lot better then.
siemi637
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by siemi637 »

Cheers,

I will have a look at that in the weekend, see if I can find some time!
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tipounastre »

Hi Harry, do you know if it is possible to use the iPhone & HLT to acquire data, the GoPro HD Hero 2 to capture the video and do the overlay in Circuit-Tools ?

Do you know of any other alternative to achieve this with freeware without importing the video in the iPhone and using HLT for the overlay?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No (CT is no overlay software) and no (if you do not want to use LT, you need to pay extra).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The best way to find where you can make time is to get data from someone who is faster than you. At the last autocross I went to, I was able to collect data riding with two different drivers with similar cars. My cornering speeds were similar, but I'm not accelerating hard enough between corners and braking too early so my average speed is lower. A good driver who rode with me told me the same thing, but actually seeing the data really made the point. I lost nearly two seconds in the last corner and run to the finish line by not getting on the throttle soon enough and letting off the throttle too soon.

You can do a lot of analysis with a spreadsheet and the .csv output file. You can do even more by importing the data into the R program (unfortunately, not trivial). Using version 15 pretty much required interpolating and smoothing the position data using R. I'm hoping that the higher acquisition rate of version 16 will require less data manipulation.
duc748
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by duc748 »

thx Siemie for this post
I am using LT since Palmtop version and I agree that biggest disadvantage is lack of easy lap to many laps comparison

Last weekend I was on the Spa & Ring (3.03 & 8.50 in my P 993) and it I would be great to know why & where I gain / lost.
Computer & graph and comparison of more than 2 laps will be great.
As I understand on iPad is just bigger screen and still 2 laps
other graph - acceleration / gforce are irrelevant to me (just problem with zooming)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Are you aware of the bar chart available in Data Recording? That allows multi lap comparison - at least on sector level. Once you know the good sectors, you can go for a lap to "lap with good sector" comparison.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
duc748
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by duc748 »

Hi,
I am afraid thats sector is not the same
some kind of standard is typical graph speed/distance
also comparison i
in sector graph you cannot see factors of better time
- point of breaking
- speed in the corner
- exit speed
if you add OBD to that and revs finnaly I can have answer if its better to go on 2nd or 3rd gear into corner
Attachments
Speedt5.jpg
Speedt5.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 8445 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I was looking for a way to get multi lap comparison, I'm certainly aware sectors are no continuous chart ;-)

The type of chart attached is available, for all named parameters. V16 has both GPS and oBD speed in one chart in addition. Adding more lines (e.g. 3 or 4) would screw up the small display from my point of view. Please use one of the export formats if you want to have that and add some PC software. I believe that's the better approach. It's still a smartphone :-)

Harry
Image Image Image Image