Autocross compatability

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Chad-1stgen
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Autocross compatability

Post by Chad-1stgen »

Hi,

Attended a track day last weekend and for some reason today a thought popped into my head wondering if anyone has an app for the Iphone to do data logging. Found a fair number of message board posts about your app. It looks pretty sweet and am considering the pro.

My question is how it works with autocross. Specifically two things.

1) Does the app support a separate start (entrance) point and end (exit) point? Most of the autocross courses I've been on have you entere and start the timer in a different spot than the timer is stopped and you exit.

2) Since autocross is a one lap thing does this app work for that for both data logging and video? I'm assuming for the start point I have to put it a few feed into the course as for autocross you usually stage inches from the timer lights. Wouldn't want the lap timer to start while waiting staged.

Seems worth it but for track days but am also interested in using it for autocross days so any other tips you have would be cool.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Autocross compatability

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Yes, you can use LapTimer for 'one lap timing' with separate start and finishing points. Please consult http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTimer ... Logik.html on the concept used and http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTimer ... racks.html on a short tutorial how to set up your 'track'.

In case you start standing still, you need to set the Go trigger some way into the course, correct. This is not nice but the only way possible currently. I have a todo on my list to implement standing starts, but this will be included in version 14 earliest.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
lego maniac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by lego maniac »

Hello,

I am very interested in this product for autocross as well and have a few questions.

- must a course be set up in order to record?

- can two 'laps' be loaded at overlaid on top of each other and then 'run' to see comparative driver positions at any given time?

- related to overlaid 'runs', if i wanted to compare how two drivers ran the same section and compare lines, speed, etc, is that possible? is it necessary to create the track with appropriate sections to make this work?

To help the context of my questions, my goal for this software at autocross is to allow me to compare my run (i.e. single lap of course) to my co-driver's run. We want to be able to compare lines and also look at different sections to compare whether my line was faster or his. Lap timing is actually not important to me. comparison of the speed and line (and potentially throttle, brake) is most important. I would be using an external GPS device to gain the degree of resolution necessary.

Thank you!
Zach
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The plan is to provide an assistant functionality to quickly setup a 'standing start' trigger and a GPS based 'stop' trigger for the finishing line. This would allow a fast and individual setup by walking the course.

Two laps recorded can be compared using the Analytics functions (Diagram View). Looking at a kind of 'run' is not possible but a nice idea. I'm not sure the accuracy is good enough to learn from the line recorded, section timing will the method of choice most probably. To get these, you setup additional 'intermediate' triggers during course setup.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Larry Callahan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Larry Callahan »

Harry wrote:Hi,

Yes, you can use LapTimer for 'one lap timing' with separate start and finishing points. Please consult http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTimer ... Logik.html on the concept used and http://web.me.com/hschlangmann/LapTimer ... racks.html on a short tutorial how to set up your 'track'.

In case you start standing still, you need to set the Go trigger some way into the course, correct. This is not nice but the only way possible currently. I have a todo on my list to implement standing starts, but this will be included in version 14 earliest.

- Harry
I assume you also need to set a stop trigger?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, certainly. Incomplete answer :oops:
Image Image Image Image
Larry Callahan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Larry Callahan »

Thanks. I bought that app and a Tomtom mount last week. I have an autocross in a couple of weeks and I want to learn how to use this before then.
Ricky Bobby
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ricky Bobby »

Just got your app and have been trying it out (no autocross or trackday yet). Seems to be fantastic so far. I will eventually get a 5hz GPS module for greater accuracy. Thanks for the time and effort put into this.

Question is related to co-driver overlay (as asked earlier in the thread). I noticed in the v.15 pre-release notes that: "Added VBO export to allow data recording analysis in external apps (like Circuit Tools)". Is this for sure going to happen, and all a user would have to do is download Circuit Tools software to view and compare data on a PC (notably sector times, lat and lineal G loads)?

Also, is there an estimate of v.15 release date? 8-)
Greg@BOT
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Greg@BOT »

Ricky Bobby wrote:Question is related to co-driver overlay (as asked earlier in the thread). I noticed in the v.15 pre-release notes that: "Added VBO export to allow data recording analysis in external apps (like Circuit Tools)". Is this for sure going to happen, and all a user would have to do is download Circuit Tools software to view and compare data on a PC (notably sector times, lat and lineal G loads)?
Yes, just like this ;)
kgobey
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by kgobey »

I've been using Harry's to 2 race seasons now (NASA SpecE30) and I have loved the video.

Shortcomings: GPS sample rate of 1Hz and the Lack of space for the video for an entire weekend.

For $80 US get the Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices on Amazon
For $305 US get the GoPro Hero4 Silver used on Amazon
Get the Circuit Tools software: http://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.p ... x-laptimer

This will resolve all the shortcomings you have encountered with Harry's Lap Timer. This blows this app up from a fun track day tool to a fully fledged data collection device.