Housekeeping Videos

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
**betsy**
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Housekeeping Videos

Post by **betsy** »

I appear to be having the same issue with lap timer using 2.0GB of space?

Video view has disappeared from 'More'
I have previously over laid the videos successfully.
I went to delete the videos but have lost 'Video view'??
**betsy**
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by **betsy** »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347480742.019066.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347480742.019066.jpg (74.13 KiB) Viewed 7870 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347480753.277817.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347480753.277817.jpg (93.08 KiB) Viewed 7870 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You have turned on Easy Mode (see the small pacifier in the bottom of the screen). To get the other views, select the Guide, select Define User, and turn on Advanced Mode again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
**betsy**
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by **betsy** »

Do'H!

Thanks Harry :)
dennisokin
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dennisokin »

I also encountered the memory usage issue on my iphone 4. Even after definitely deleting all of the videos from the app my i phone indicated that my apps were using 5 gig of storage. I could not find the files and delete as referenced by Harry so i deleted the application altogether from my iphone and then reinstalled it for free and now my iphone shows apps only using .92 gig of information. This is an easy solution, I wish i had figured it out a few months ago. As i then completely restored my iphone ...which was a giant pita ...hope this helps.....

Harry think you have a great application but I can assure you that this is a big issue for all in that even after deleting all the laps from your application the remaining files are still using a tremendous amount of space. Hope you come up with a way to automatically reomve all of the files you referenced in an earlier post.

Thanks !!!! :D
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

If I understand correctly LT will not use all available memory for video.

It appears as if the raw file is for all the laps (not one file per lap), so this file can get quite large.

When it comes time to overlay the video for a single lap, what do you do if there is not enough space left to complete the operation?

I ran into this problem last week and got around it be deleting my music and this freed up enough space to complete the overlay process, but his is a bit of a kluge!

Deven
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

My first recommendation is to start with planning :-) Memory is limited and has always been limited for files, music, videos, backups, etc. So what you really need to do is get a feeling for what can be done with your specific iPhone and not just start and get both yourself and LapTimer in a critical situation. The space requires is outlined here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=459&p=4244 The storage available on your device is available in Settings -> General -> Usage.

Once you see what can be done (and what is impossible), it is a good idea to make a plan what to record - and where to go the old racer's way just recording data (no multimedia). I quote the following regularly:
Today's iPhones come with impressive memory sizes... Nevertheless, recording videos in HD or even FullHD quality will fill up any space very fast. Memory used for videos depends on the so called bitrate - the number of bits available to hold the visual representation per second of a video. For an HD video, the typical bitrate is 10.5Mbit/s. Add some additional space for audio and we are at approximately 80MB/min. For FullHD videos - supported by the iPhone4S and iPad3, a typical bitrate is 24Mbit/s, summing up to approximately 190MB/min. Or the other way around: 1GB of free memory gives you 12 minutes of HD or 5 minutes of Full HD.
Not only because of this limitation, my personal recommendation is to not go for video recording all the time. You miss a lot of fun and track focus when fiddling around with video. So my suggestion is to train the first half of a track day using standard data/time recording and then video record a trained session only. This give you enough time for a great video.
Second point - what to do if you run into the named deadlock: you need to free up space exactly like you did - by moving data to your PC temporarily. There is no good option to store the video in a different way (e.g. by lap). You may remember the discussion we had here on the forum when LapTimer recorded every other lap only. The reason has been you lose some time to store a video and start recording again. Even in an optimized scenario you would lose seconds you would miss for your next - most probably fastest lap ever :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dcampbell
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dcampbell »

If I move videos from the laptimer sandbox to the camera roll then move to my pc is there a way to put them back if I wanted to do more overlays?

I can get them back to the camera roll but can't figure out if there is a way to get them back into the laptimer storage so they show up in lap lists. I can see the gopro videos because HLT looks there for those.

Thanks
Denis
2006 BMW 330xi
LT GP 19.0.16
Go point BT1
Gopro Black Hero3
Ipad gen3
XGPS150A
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Problem is that videos transferred back to the Photo library will get a different name. This actually breaks LapTimer's links. I will consider changing the linking to the Photo library and use the same approach like with MultiCam (ID / tag), but that is not the case currently. On the other hand, as long as you have the "NO VIDEO" link available for your lap, select the preview and write down the sync point in the bottom of the otherwise empty Video Details coming up. Now, relink the video replicated back to the Photo library and select exactly this sync point. Remove the NO VIDEO link afterwards.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
lolaleo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by lolaleo »

Hi,

I have a quick question and I apologize in advance it it is answered elsewhere on here:

I would like to add the data overlay to a whole video (not just a lap). Can you please let me know how this is done?

Thank you