Autocross recording question

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Larry Callahan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Autocross recording question

Post by Larry Callahan »

I understand that I need to create a start and a stop point to run an autocross. If I do will the video start recording automatically when I start and when playing back does is display the path or the shape of the autocross? If not can I go around it and create points at each turn to make a custom track for the day?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Autocross recording question

Post by Harry »

Hi Larry,

You set two triggers, one for the starting line and one for the finish line. In case you have a standing start close to the starting line, it is better to set the start triggers some way behind the starting line as LapTimer needs some reasonable speed when crossing triggers to detect them correctly. I plan to add a new trigger type 'standing start' start in v14 to get this covered better.

Video and lap time recording will start automatically, yes. The shape will be available once you have recorded the first valid 'lap'. It is constructed from your data recording.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ecugrad
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Autocross recording question

Post by ecugrad »

Harry wrote:Hi Larry,

You set two triggers, one for the starting line and one for the finish line. In case you have a standing start close to the starting line, it is better to set the start triggers some way behind the starting line as LapTimer needs some reasonable speed when crossing triggers to detect them correctly. I plan to add a new trigger type 'standing start' start in v14 to get this covered better.

Video and lap time recording will start automatically, yes. The shape will be available once you have recorded the first valid 'lap'. It is constructed from your data recording.

- Harry
I tried out Laptimer at an autocross last weekend. It does take a second or two for it to detect the triggers at the finish (although it seemed very consistent when it did trip the finish). At the start, I would pull up and sometimes it would start timing after I had already staged. I assume this is due to the GPS "wobble". No video due to ipod touch V3

Standing start will help a TON