Data recording Charts.

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
aronis
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Data recording Charts.

Post by aronis »

Is the section Data Recording, Charts supposed to show a map or just the path of the lap on a plain white background???

Mike
Attachments
map.jpeg
map.jpeg (169.28 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Data recording Charts.

Post by Harry »

This is supposed to show a map. The problem is that there is are only two positions for this recording? Please go back to Lap Details and let us know what the Data Recording section says. Please add background on how this has been recorded and how other laps look like.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
aronis
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by aronis »

I deleted that lap. Here is another one. I am trying to learn LOL.

Here is another one. With the Data Recording section. It says Google Earth????

I am also having issues with my OBD staying connected.....

I did the firmware up date on the module via the OBDLink software. Even that program is not connecting to the module reliably. Perhaps the position of the plug in spot vs my iPhone location?

A work in progress.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_9835.PNG
IMG_9835.PNG (394.76 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
IMG_9834 2.PNG
IMG_9834 2.PNG (290.88 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

At least for the speed chart, there has been a drop of connection. It is well possible, the dropping OBD connection produces trouble for the overall fusion process. I'd suggest to troubleshoot OBD and the general recording issue separately. To fix OBD, please have a look into this FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500. Until this is fixed, do not use the OBD adapter on track.

I doubt the problem is around the distance between adapter and smartphone. Usually the problem is around some incompatibility of the OBD implementation or some real bus fault.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
aronis
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by aronis »

Harry,

Thank you for the feed back.

I chose the OBD from the list you website shows. The OBDlink MX +. It does not stay connected very well to Laptimer or TrackAddict, but stays on pretty well with the native app for it, OBDLink but it does not connect correctly every time. I did the firmware update on the OBD. I plan on returning this product.

So for the hell of it I plugged in my WiFi OBD dongle, V-link V-Gate iCar2 which connected immediately via WiFi, stayed connected and gave data to Laptimer within seconds of hitting the "Engine" section. I did a quick test run and the program recorded a lap, but again no map information. I know I can't trigger the GoPro due to the Wifi being tied up getting OBD data, but I can figure out the video part separately. I want to be able to get data from the car.

I also have an MHD dongle which I am not sure can work with anything but MHD, I'll give that a try next time I fiddle with this setup.

FYI I am doing this in a 2019 Boxster GTS. Laptimer connects to the external GPS module very well, Dual XGPSS160 and that tracks data very nicely.

I may uninstall Laptimer and reinstall it. I think when I first used it it was making maps with the map showing.

I also have to take a ride in my M5 to see if that makes any difference.....but the location of the OBD port is about the same distance from where i usually have the phone.

I have a mag safe charging mount and thought that was an issue, so I put the phone in the door pocket about 12 inches from the OBD port and no dice.

This kind of frustration makes doing such things a pain and becomes not worth it for occasional use.

I am also trying to learn TrackAddict and it's desktop software which at least I can import video into that and adjust start times easier on the desktop.

I greatly appreciate your feedback. I have been digging into the features of Laptimer and it's pretty impressive particularly running on a cell phone. The exported videos are great, but adjusting timing is not easy if you don't trigger the video from the app itself.

Mike
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The map is a result of GPS mostly. A problem with OBD may result in dropouts, but that‘s it. So please start with a plain setup without any external sensor, and the GPS only next. Once this results in a map, you can add OBD to check if this is the problem.

Adding multiple external sensors may result in problems too. A BT OBD plus a BT GPS will work in a clean area. When other BT devices come on top, bandwidth may be the problem. Thinking about this because the WiFi adapter worked better.

But these are just guesses, please let me know what the results of the basic scenario are.

Harry
Image Image Image Image