Laptimer Grand Prix Edition - bugs.

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
aronis
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Laptimer Grand Prix Edition - bugs.

Post by aronis »

Hello all, I'm new here, and found Harry's Lap timer from a post on Rennlist.

So far it's a fantastic app....but a few bugs to report? Maybe its my error?

I am still learning how to use it and found the video integration to be fantastic. Easy to use. I have a OBDLink MX+ due to day and am looking forward to figuring that thing out, and GPS module due tomorrow.

Just for specs, iPhone Xs, IOS version 15.6

I connected my GoPro Session, no issues.

But....

1. The Video listing for the on phone videos (and I have a ton because I have had an iPhone since version 1 LOL) does not sort by date. The videos are scattered and this makes finding the video you just shot a bit of a pain. Is this a known bug, or is there some setting to 'sort' that I missed???

1a. Suggestion: Perhaps it can be coded to allow for the program to just look in a specific folder for videos related to the app? Then we can create a separate video folder in IOS and tell the lap timer where to look?

2. in Race mode only "timer" and "performance" have a landscape view? The Speedo and Classic do not shift to landscape. So when using the FaceTime camera to record in car video, the phone is turned landscape to capture landscape, but the displayed information remains in portrait. Small bugaboo I guess.

3. in Classic (under race) when I hit start the timer does not move. If I hit 'new' it moves the timer to the point at which I hit 'new' thus showing a 'time' but the hand does not move. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

4. In Realtime, GPS, Engine, Map, Tires all shift to landscape when you turn the phone but Acceleration and Satellites does not, yes minor thing.

5. this is really picky I know, don;'t yell at me Harry......So I added my first car.....and Porsche is not in your data base? I found my M5 F90 and it's specs, but my Boxster was not listed. Crying.....LOL.

6. I need to see what occurs with the OBD link but just asking now, does the program read "boost" pressure from the OBD? Under Realtime, Engine, I saw oil, air, catalyst, voltage,coolant, etc, but not boost. :)

Thank you,

Mike
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Laptimer Grand Prix Edition - bugs.

Post by Harry »

1. Yes, that's a feature request we have filed already.
2. In old times, when smartphones had no cam, portrait only views made sense. The Speedo and Classic views date back that far. Today they are legacy and kept because they work in portrait. When deciding on whether they go the "both orientations" or "drop" path, the later will happen because Timer is the preferred own track view today. But instead of making that decision, we keep the portrait only views for now.
3. I just checked and for my iPhone Start starts a new lap with a moving hand. New will stop the current lap and start a new one. Please check that again.
4. See #2
5. Vehicle search is a convenience function and not maintained. Actually we have a few thousand new submissions but haven't QAed them. Open item. In case you car is not in the repository, just enter the 6 search fields and press New. As long as no OBD is connected, that is all you need. Once you use an OBD adapter, you need to enter details yourself to allow LapTimer to derive values like gear engaged.
6. Provided, the car's OBD gateway passes MAP (manifold air pressure), that value is read and displayed in screens and video overlays.
Image Image Image Image
aronis
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by aronis »

Thank you Harry!!

Now learning the ins and outs of creating videos with onlays. I got the GPS unit (dual XGPSS160 working along with the OBD module.) It takes time sometimes for it all to link up but works.

Thank you.

Mike
Scargo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Scargo »

I have an iPhone Xr with version 15.6.1. and I'm running your Grand Prix v24.7.
On 11-12-2022 I raced at Thompson Raceway, trackID: 2185. I've successfully used the timer at this track on several occasions. This last time I could only get the Classic Timer to open. The "Timer" would not open. Timer and Speedo were grayed out. Then, just like aronis, I could not get the (Classic) timer to start and like aronis said "If I hit 'new' it moves the timer to the point at which I hit 'new' thus showing a 'time' but the hand does not move."
When reviewing the lap data all I had was 14 records of nonsensical lap times (mostly just a few seconds long).
Looking for answers.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I just tested Rookie with the Xr. When opening Laptime ‣ Race, the only enabled timer view is "Timer" - which is the expected result for Rookie. Please check of you can reproduce, Classic, Speedo etc should be grayed out.
Image Image Image Image
Scargo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Scargo »

I have Grand Prix Edition so I don't know if Rookie is a good comparison. I also don't know if my running the app in my home, without it being associated with a track is a valid evaluation.
Classic Timer is all that shows and the hands do not move when I start it, just like what was happening when I was at Thompson.
Only when I hit stop does it give me the elapsed time.
The grand Prix Edition has always worked at other tracks so I can only surmise that it was not recognizing the track though I had the impression that Thompson was loaded. The timer never started or reset when I crossed Start/Finish. I even went to the S/F line and tried to enter the POI.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm sorry, somehow I read "Rookie" 8-) Please switch to email for this topic. Start LapTimer and use the Contact button in the start up screen. Add a hint on this threads with disabled timer views. I will check your configuration and come back.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image