Analysing Data

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Analysing Data

Post by Rexton133 »

I generally use my VBox for video and data analysis but I have now dedicated to one of the 2 track cars I use.
I have HLT v24.6.3 (Grand Prix)and have worked out how to overlay the data onto video from both my phone and my GoPro Hero 8. I also use a RaceBox Mini with HLT which saves as a .vbo file

My question is about analysing my laps afterwards. The footage from my VBox has the lap data stored as a .vbo file so I can analyse the data with Circuit Tools (by Racelogic). I could of course use something like Race Render when I get home with the .vbo file from the RaceBox Mini but I like HLT and am wondering if the overlayed video can be imported into Citcuit tools and just work.

Essentially I am seeing if the data on HLT is as a .vbo file and can be accessed

Many thanks

Rexton
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Analysing Data

Post by Harry »

LapTimer exports and imports VBO files. Export should be straight forward using the Export / Share function. To import, tap .VBO file in your mail message / file system folder on the smartphone and select LapTimer to open it. Make sure the circuit driven is loaded front up. LapTimer will split the VBO data according to our track set definition. This may slightly differ from lap time in CT.

As VBO files are not really standardized and not well documentation, problems may occur when importing VBOs generated by other apps / sensors. In this case, please contact us on Harry@gps-laptimer.de.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

Many thanks for the reply.
I am now trying to overlay a video with the .vbo data that I have exported. As I do not yet have any laps with video associated with it my question is

To get the vbo file to open the correct video with circuit tools do I need to link the video in HLT before I export the vbo file so that a line gets written in the vbo file to let me know what the video needs to be renamed as?

A further question is about the RaceBox Mini that I link to HLT. It seems that the columns of data that are created are not exactly the same headings. Is this an issue in how the vbo file is created

Rex ton
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer VBO exports include video links in case the video has been linked in LapTimer before. You need to rename your videos - see the VBO for some hints. In case no video is linked in LapTimer, there is no linking in the VBO either.

VBO files have special requirements for sampling rates, LapTimer interpolates them to please CT (which will crash and do other wired things).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

VBO files have special requirements for sampling rates, LapTimer interpolates them to please CT (which will crash and do other wired things).

Does this mean that if the lap timer has used the external RaceBox Mini data (at 25 Hz) the interpolation that HLT performs then will CT recognise it and run it without problem
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Well, it should work… But without a spec, it is always trial and error.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

Did a test to link the GoPro video with the renaming from within the .vbo file. Put just those 2 files in the same folder and it still would not work. CT tools said video could not be found.

Any suggestions would be welcome
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'd suggest to contact Racelogic. :-) Send them the VBO file too so they can check
Image Image Image Image
Rexton133
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Rexton133 »

Sorted it. I had renamed the file VID_00004.MP4 instead of VID_00004
Doh
aMacUzr
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by aMacUzr »

I just posted about a script/tool that will allow you to "link" a video (i.e., add the data) to a .vbo file so it'll be shown in Circuit Tools:
viewtopic.php?f=11&p=29691#p29691