Mirroring on Android Auto / stereo

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
jp.fox
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Mirroring on Android Auto / stereo

Post by jp.fox »

Is anyone using Harry's Lap Timer on their phone and mirroring on a double din head unit or android auto etc? If so, can you control the phone to start and stop the video recording using the touchscreen head unit?

I'm recording video and data using the phone and it's mounted behind me on a roll bar in my MX5. I currently have to be out of the car and the roof has to be down for me to start / stop the video (which is a pain if it's raining) so I'm wondering if fitting a touch screen head unit would enable me to turn it on and off from the stereo.

Given this is the main reason I'd want to fit the stereo, I thought I'd check if it'd work and if anyone else is doing it? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
James
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Mirroring on Android Auto / stereo

Post by PitrsRS »

unfortunately through standard Android Auto app it´s not possible to use it. Maybe with some "magic" AA box with screen mirroring.

Better solution is external cam like GoPro, and phone mounted somewhere on the dash
2016 SEAT Leon CUPRA 290 ST

HLT Grand Prix (Android) + OBDLink LX BT + XGPS160 + GoPro 11 Black + GoPro 7 Black
jp.fox
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jp.fox »

Thanks for confirmation, that's a shame on the official android auto but interesting on the magic AA box, although I'm not sure quite what this is? Possibly one of the cheaper versions that just mirrors the screen and gives touch screen control?

I'd like to retain using the phone to film if I'm honest, being able to do that and having everything in one place without having to move data across devices is the best feature for me to be honest.
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

I saw a box which is some android device and you can use it for screen mirroring and touch control. But it´s cheap piece of HW, so it will be slow, and without camera. And on the other hand, you´ll have 2 devices, not one.

Unfortunately whole problem with Android Auto is Google itself. What Google does not approve, you can´t use...

I understand that using an external camera is pain in the ass, but it´s best solution...

HLT Grand Prix (Android) + OBDLink LX BT + XGPS160 + GoPro 11 Black + GoPro 7 Black
jp.fox
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jp.fox »

Thanks, I agree that using a Go Pro would be the best solution but in all honesty, I just wouldn't use it because of the extra time it'd take. I only really need something that I can use as a remote control for the phone running Harry's Lap Timer as it's mounted behind me. I looked at using an old android phone and the TeamViewer app but the old phone doesn't support it... Do you have any more details on the device you saw before I try and acquire another old phone as a remote? I'm guessing Teamviewer app can't be run on an android head unit?
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

Unfortunately no. Several of my friends have it, but well functionality is really unpredictable. And these boxes you can find on the internet, most of them are in beta testing process. In the nutshell, you can't control second device through this device. Only way is the TeamViewer which is a little bit complicated.

GoPro have big disadvantage in transfer speed. It´s really pain in the ass. I usually transfer videos via OTG cable or PC from cam to phone, it´s much faster than via WiFi. Maybe models 8 and 9 are faster, but 7 black is really slow.

On the other hand, GoPro (7B) have better mounting options, great image stabilization even for 4K with 60fps.

I understand where are you pointing, but in the end, you will end with some action cam ;)

jp.fox
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jp.fox »

Thanks, maybe I'll have to suffer with having to get out of the car for now... haha I already have a Go Pro but it never makes it out of the bag!
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

I have DIY mount for GoPro on headrest which is fine. I have cam close to control it (voice or manually). And even HLT can control the gopro itself