Codec for video overlay

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Brian Sullivan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Codec for video overlay

Post by Brian Sullivan »

Does LapTimer support H.265 codec for video overlay input (and if so does it output in H.265)?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Codec for video overlay

Post by Harry »

I assume you are on Android. It *may* work as input. For the software method almost sure, for the hardware method it depends on your phone. Output is H.264 for hardware accelerated overlaying and mpeg2 for software encoding. The later is quite old but yields good quality. These videos are huge however.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brian Sullivan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Brian Sullivan »

Yes Android. My camera records in h.265 (optionally but that is the best video option). So likely my best strategy to avoid potential issues is to convert the H.265 to H.264 before transferring to the phone for synchronizing/overlaying using the Laptimer?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You need to try it please. There are so many encodings and encoding variations, that it is hard to predict anything. :-(
Image Image Image Image
Brian Sullivan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Brian Sullivan »

Since the video is from a dashcam and the car is in winter storage with no on track scheduled until May (and even that might be COVID affected), it is a little difficult to do a near real test. I was hoping for a reasonable guess. When the time comes I will record in H.265 and assemble and output the video using that codec and just see if I can use it in Laptimer. If not I guess I will just convert to H.264 - I know that will work because synching using H.264 video was what I did last time.

When I actually go through the process I will update this thread.
Sideshow
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Sideshow »

Hi Harry

Also noticed that H.265 doesn't work.
Neither the video could be played nor exported.
When I render my footage with H.264 it works without any problem.
I wouldn't care but H.264 videos are far bigger... :(

I have Android 14, Samsung S23u mobile.

Cheers