Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0 NAFTA throttle and brake by wire

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
JeFizz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0 NAFTA throttle and brake by wire

Post by JeFizz »

Good Morning/afternoon,

First and foremost I want to thank Harald for some fantastic software; I love HLT! As complex as it is and can be, I find that with only a few tweaks here and there it is surprisingly easy to use. Cheers!

Vehicle: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4 (NAFTA), 2.0T, automatic transmission.

After reading up on some forum posts and the documentation, I have figured out what setting to use for the throttle by wire system in my car. For anyone curious, I ended up using Throttle PID: Position D. It gives the actual pedal position, not the throttle position that can be all over the place for readings. This throttle setting should actually work for all 2016-2020 Giulias and Stelvios in any trim (Quadrifoglio/Ti/Sport/Base/Sprint/Veloce/etc.) It's all the same I believe.

Here's my question though... How can I get proper readings from the brake by wire system (Continental MK C1)? I don't see how to alter what PID to use for brake pedal position.

Thanks for any assistance!!

JB
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0 NAFTA throttle and brake by wire

Post by Harry »

Thanks for your feedback. :-)

On braking: other than throttle, brake is not standardized by OBD II. It is not relevant for emission testing - the main focus of OBD.
So braking is calculated by LapTimer - it is derived from negative longitudinal acceleration and some car body characteristics like air drag and weight).

For some cars, a some custom PID is available. These can be configured in LapTimer's Expert settings. Custom PID for Fords, GM cars, and some Toyotas are available on the net. For all others it is hard to impossible. You can find more information on Custom PIDs in LapTimer's Engine / OBD documentation available on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
JeFizz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0 NAFTA throttle and brake by wire

Post by JeFizz »

Harry wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:31 pm Thanks for your feedback. :-)

On braking: other than throttle, brake is not standardized by OBD II. It is not relevant for emission testing - the main focus of OBD.
So braking is calculated by LapTimer - it is derived from negative longitudinal acceleration and some car body characteristics like air drag and weight).

For some cars, a some custom PID is available. These can be configured in LapTimer's Expert settings. Custom PID for Fords, GM cars, and some Toyotas are available on the net. For all others it is hard to impossible. You can find more information on Custom PIDs in LapTimer's Engine / OBD documentation available on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

- Harry
Thanks Harry! That makes sense. I'll see what I can find about the braking system and post it up here.