Moving video files to Harry's video location

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Brian Sullivan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Moving video files to Harry's video location

Post by Brian Sullivan »

I have been exploring using an externally created video in Harry's video overlay feature. I believe I understand that concepts and how it works but I can't for the life of me figure out how to transfer video from another directory on the SD card into the required folder on the SD so that Laptimer can find and use the video. I have managed to locate the Laptimer directory but otherwise am thwarted. It seems like a simple thing but I am stumped.

My Google Files app has a "Copy" and "Move" function but seems to only allow copy and move to and from the internal storage and my SD card - doesn't appear to support copying to different directory on the same (or even other) storage device. Am I missing something? Some other app I should be using to do this?

I realize this is more of a general Android question than a Laptimer question but I was hoping someone here could aim me in the right general direction
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moving video files to Harry's video location

Post by Harry »

Which storage places are shown in Video List? Late Android version got pretty restrictive with access to the file system. Which version do you use?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brian Sullivan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Brian Sullivan »

I am currently on Android 7 -- I am attempting to use the SD card so the location is /storage/xxxx(SD card name)/Android/data.com.harryslaptimertrainer/files/Movies.

I did mention in another post that I was able to access and transfer files to the location using Windows File Explorer when connected to the phone via USB. I was thinking there should be a more direct native process but maybe not?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The mapping between physical directories on your Android smartphone and directories on an SD card can be complicated. The so called "mounting" differs by manufacturer. What LapTimer shows in Video List is this full path including the mounting point. To find the location on your SD card, you need to remove some prefix like what you wrote as "/storage/xxxx".

The path above ending with data/com.harryslaptimertrainer/files/Movies is part of LapTimer's sandbox, i.e. an app specific folder. On Android 7, there may be a global storage place for videos available too. For late Android versions these have vanished.

Finally, there may be some desktop tool available for your smartphone (manufacturer specific). These allow copying files between smartphone (including SD cards) and desktop. To use these tools, you will connect your smartphone to the desktop using an USB cable.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific here, it is fragmented in Android.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image