non-preset orientation - acceleration calibration

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Jordan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: non-preset orientation - acceleration calibration

Post by Jordan »

Does that mean it's smart enough that I can start auto calibration before going on the track, then it will realize when I'm accelerating on a straight and braking on a straight, and ignore the turns in between? This also ignores trail braking and depends on the track in terms of whether you have long threshold braking zones.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, it is working fully automatic around 80% of the time. Once it is fine. Use the Lock button to memorize the calibration for future runs (provided the mount is nit changed).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jordan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Jordan »

Thank you. I'll try it at my next event.
Jordan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Jordan »

Apologies but I still cannot get this to work. I tried a few times, including having someone in the right seat try to do it on-track. I was never able to get the auto calibration to complete. I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Have you tested it on track? It will not work in public traffic.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Ducman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ducman »

I have used lap timer for many years but always with a single vehicle. Now I have two with different set-ups, most importantly legacy vehicle allows use of predefined iPhone orientation while second vehicle will require individually measured configuration.

Questions:

It does not appear that this setup information is retained with the vehicle chosen so that when I switch vehicles in the Define User tab, the the specific orientation mode for the vehicle being used are not loaded - please confirm?

If above is true, then it would seem best solution for me is to always use HLT in "individual measured" calibration mode, agree?

And finally, if I understand the guidance of this original post, I really need do nothing but keep it in this mode, HLT will recognize automatically and set mounting, pitch, straight, and gear as I go out on track each session - correct? i.e. in this case I can ignore the Calibration button on the Prepare Race screen and just let HLT do its thing - right?

Thanks all,
Don
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is correct that acceleration calibration is not set for a specific vehicle but as a global setting.
Individual calibration is supposed to work automatically.

In early versions of LapTimer it has been the only strategy. The reason it has been replaced by presets is, that it there is a certain probability that one of the calibration steps fails and leaves you with a wrong rotation matrix. But even in this case, LapTimer has repair tools (see Data Recordings / Charts / G-G) and even allows you to derive acceleration from GPS "after the fact".

- Harry
Image Image Image Image