Possible to overlay LapTimer data on GoPro video

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
lunat1ck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Possible to overlay LapTimer data on GoPro video

Post by lunat1ck »

Well, to be honest, I wasn't going to bother, since the pain and agony of doing it one lap at a time was the reason I bought all that software in the first place. I'm going to have two cameras taking something like 80 minutes of video, and at LRP that will be around 70 laps of data.

But, since you asked... OK, I'll try it, just for comparison. :-)

The more I think about it, that makes sense if you're trying to compare apples to apples here. I'll crank out a video done "natively" with HLT, so people can see how that compares to what the other software products output.

Challenge accepted :-P
Amnizu
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Amnizu »

I'm trying to synch my Go Pro 720x60 FPS video fro this weekend's autocross event to my iPhone 4 and iTunes is not allowing the transfer as the file format is unsupported by the iPhone for playback. Anyone know how to get around this? I'd prefer to use Harry's Lap timer to do the overlay.

Thanks in advance!

-Joe
TraderGuy
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by TraderGuy »

TraderGuy wrote:An update on my testing, the multiple lap output file (CSV) in V15 now works in Dashware and RaceRender, worked for RaceRender out of the box, DashWare sent me a new logger profile so it works there now, and I'm working with TrackVision on a new profile.

While the LapTimer overlay works fine on the iPhone, it's slow, and must be done a lap at a time then stitched together if you want an entire session. An external tool makes it much easier for those of us that want multiple laps of seamless video.

OK, one more update. I worked with TrackVision and they now have a data logger profile that works with the multiple lap data output of Laptimer, it does require a small modification of the file, (KPH to MPH), just takes a few seconds, once that's done all is good. Makes a multiple lap overlay much easier.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Amnizu wrote:I'm trying to synch my Go Pro 720x60 FPS video fro this weekend's autocross event to my iPhone 4 and iTunes is not allowing the transfer as the file format is unsupported by the iPhone for playback. Anyone know how to get around this? I'd prefer to use Harry's Lap timer to do the overlay.

Thanks in advance!

-Joe
Videos on iPhone usually come with a 30fps update rate. This is probably the issue...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
lunat1ck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lunat1ck »

I have some bad news -- my promised review of the data overlay functionality using RaceRender, DashWare and TrackVision is going to be delayed by a few weeks.

I had a great time driving Lime Rock Park yesterday, but I was unable to get Harry Lap Timer to, well... do *anything*. I'll make a separate post about the problems I had, but since I never got any lap data at all, I obviously can't perform the experiments I was planning.

I am driving both tracks at New Jersey Motorsports Park in 3 weeks, and if I can figure out why HLT didn't work, and I get some real data for sessions, I'll try again.
lmcgrew79
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lmcgrew79 »

lmcgrew79
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lmcgrew79 »

The only way to get multi laps to work with gauges in dashware is to you use a csv editor and amend all the laps together. This process can be a bit complicated, as any error or mistake in amending will result in failed data, i use csved, you can open the first lap of data, expose all the columns, then after that amend another lap and make sure you delete record of the first two lines in the added laps, one line where it says harrys lap pro timer and the second line with the named columns, all you want is the numerical data. The very first file the first two lines need to stay in place, or dashware will not recongnize the file.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Had some conversation with TrackVision on this. The reason LT allows one lap only is, these tools requires a continuous series of laps - without interruption. As LT allows a selection by lap, by track day, and all only, there is no "session" export feature currently. Good news is, this session export will be available in v16.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tony@TrackVision
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tony@TrackVision »

Thanks to Harry for being super helpful on the current v15 and what is coming with v16.
Based this info, we have released multi-lap support for HLTv15 in TrackVision. Several HLT users are using it now, so expect to see some examples posted here as soon as they get some data from the track. The multi-lap support will be in our next update. Email support[at]trackvision.net to get it now.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

lmcgrew79 wrote:The only way to get multi laps to work with gauges in dashware is to you use a csv editor and amend all the laps together. This process can be a bit complicated, as any error or mistake in amending will result in failed data, i use csved, you can open the first lap of data, expose all the columns, then after that amend another lap and make sure you delete record of the first two lines in the added laps, one line where it says harrys lap pro timer and the second line with the named columns, all you want is the numerical data. The very first file the first two lines need to stay in place, or dashware will not recongnize the file.
Wanted to post a little tutorial for multilap overlaying based on the export format for Dashware and Trackvision...then I saw your post. It's just like you said: I exported every lap individually and then merged the data in a text editor, skipping the first data line beginning with the second lap. Works perfectly fine with Racerender 2. I now have a complete session as one fully ovefrlayed video file including the in and out laps, which I started manually. Because of the possibility to set the start / finish point in Racerender, you even get correct lap numbers etc. I know Racerender doesn't look to good at first glance...but it has tons of possibilities and is really good value.