Possible to overlay LapTimer data on GoPro video

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
TraderGuy
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Possible to overlay LapTimer data on GoPro video

Post by TraderGuy »

bulls23 wrote:
TraderGuy wrote:I'm open to using software other then what is mentioned above, please let me know.
I haven't tried overlaying whole sessions myself, but just wanted to mention RaceRender as a possible alternative:

http://www.racerender.com/RR2/Features.html
I gave that a quick try, really didin't like the interface much. But didn't have any luck with it on multiple laps, same issues.
TraderGuy
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by TraderGuy »

TraderGuy wrote:
bulls23 wrote:
TraderGuy wrote:I'm open to using software other then what is mentioned above, please let me know.
I haven't tried overlaying whole sessions myself, but just wanted to mention RaceRender as a possible alternative:

http://www.racerender.com/RR2/Features.html
I gave that a quick try, really didin't like the interface much. But didn't have any luck with it on multiple laps, same issues.
Scratch that, I gave that another try, it works! I don't think I like the interface as much as Trackvision or Dashware but I'm going to spend some time playing with it. Thanks.

Still interested to know if anyone is working with V15 and multiple laps with GoPro and DashWare.
gtncpa
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by gtncpa »

It looks great! Has anyone tried it?
Tony@TrackVision
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tony@TrackVision »

TrackVision has supported Harry's Lap Timer data for quite a while now. Turns out that HLT V15 had some changes that we hadn't tracked, specifically the multi-lap export format, but that's all fixed now and will be in our next update.
Send me an email to support[at]trackvision.net and I'll send you the small file you need to run HLT v15 data. Your GoPro video [or any other HD format video] will be fine in TrackVision, of course.

BTW, there was some discussion on this forum a while back about rendering the data display onto blue screen [or green, or any other chroma key color] for post-production in a video mixing desk. TrackVision has had than feature for a couple of years now.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Tony@TrackVision wrote:BTW, there was some discussion on this forum a while back about rendering the data display onto blue screen [or green, or any other chroma key color] for post-production in a video mixing desk. TrackVision has had than feature for a couple of years now.
That's right, but as far as I remember, users were asking for a possibility to do that on the iPhone, so they can put that on an external video (GoPro, Contour). Most of the time they were told to go for TrackVision, Dashware or RaceRender
gtncpa
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by gtncpa »

It looks like TrackVision is the way to go. Here is how it works per my understanding:
  • Connected the iPhone wirelessly to the PLX Device to get the data from the OBDII
    Start Harry's Lap Timer
    Run laps on the track with the iPhone in your pocket (The data files that are created are a small CSV format)
    Record video on one or two GoPros
    Go home and use TrackVision overlay the data from Harry's on to the main video taken by the GoPro
    Once the overlay is done move to a program like Corel and do PIP or other video editing
I think I have all the steps. The part that scares me a little is synching the data and the video. Once I master that I think I will be OK. If I really get the hang of it maybe I can learn to use the "blue screen" like the news does for the weather on TV.

The big advantages I see doing it this way:
  • The iPhone does not have to store large video files
    The iPhone is not used to do the overlay (the iPhone is slow to do it and a computer with a good graphics card would be much faster)
    I am tech for NASA (track organization) and iPhones are not allowed to be suctioned to the windows.
    GoPros are approved to be in the car
Tony@TrackVision
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tony@TrackVision »

bulls23 wrote:That's right, but as far as I remember, users were asking for a possibility to do that on the iPhone, so they can put that on an external video (GoPro, Contour). Most of the time they were told to go for TrackVision, Dashware or RaceRender
You are right. I missed that.
TraderGuy
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by TraderGuy »

An update on my testing, the multiple lap output file (CSV) in V15 now works in Dashware and RaceRender, worked for RaceRender out of the box, DashWare sent me a new logger profile so it works there now, and I'm working with TrackVision on a new profile.

While the LapTimer overlay works fine on the iPhone, it's slow, and must be done a lap at a time then stitched together if you want an entire session. An external tool makes it much easier for those of us that want multiple laps of seamless video.
Last edited by TraderGuy on Fri May 25, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lunat1ck
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by lunat1ck »

FWIW, I just bought all 3 products (DashMate, RaceRender and TrackVision), and I plan to try all three after I get back from Lime Rock Park next weekend (6 days until track time -- woohoo!!).

Realistically, I think it's asking a bit much of Harry to enhance much more of the functionality in his software for this kind of thing, since this really belongs in an external program if you want all this advanced functionality. The iPhone is NOT a high performance, high capacity computing platform, and video rendering/overlaying will ALWAYS be painfully slow. It's a phone.... (I suppose it's a smart phone, but if you ask me, Siri seems pretty stupid...)

Thanks for all of your replies in this thread -- I had not even heard of any of those software products until I asked this question, and now I have everything I need to do a thorough comparison, and find the one that suits my needs best (meaning: which one produces the coolest looking video to post on YouTube and impress my friends :-P).

I will go ahead and publicly commit to publishing a write up on my experience with each of them. I'm going to try to get as far as producing a publishable video with each of them, for comparison. And of course the video's will end up on my YouTube channel...

http://www.youtube.com/user/thelunat1ck/videos

P.S. I'm the bass player :-)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I agree. Please don't forget to add LapTimer's overlay into your comparison :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image