Possible to overlay LapTimer data on GoPro video

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Possible to overlay LapTimer data on GoPro video

Post by Harry »

1) lap by lap, opt for an external overlay solution if you want full session overlay
2) yes
3) see 1)
4) the PC is only faster in case you use hardware acceleration - do not underestimate what the iPhone can do. ;-) There are solutions around already, can't do everything at a time
5) yes, planned for Spring 2013. Please do not expect full feature support in the beginning
Image Image Image Image
OverRev
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by OverRev »

thanks for your quick reply, Harry. I m looking forward to the Android version, honestly HLT is the only program/reason i stay on iPhone or else i would have switched to GalaxyS3 months ago.... and i hope current user of the iphone version would get a discount on the android version.. :)

to clarify the Q. 1), did u mean HLT can ovelay the data of the "entire session" onto a video of that session, but the timing and record will display lap by lap? or did u mean i can only overlay data of a "single lap" to video of that single lap?

i was hoping i can use my iPhone to do video recording and overly data for the whole session, because i just found that the view angle of video recording is way better with HLT than the iphone built-in video recorder. I m sure Harry had done a good twist on the video setting.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

There are numerous discussions on session overlay on this forum already, please check viewtopic.php?f=10&t=550 as an example. To get it straight: LapTimer video records full sessions to one raw video. However, if you generate an overlaid video, LapTimer extracts the frames for one lap and overlays data for that. So although there is session video recording and session data recording, overlaying is done for a single lap only. If you want full session overlays, opt for one of the PC overlay solutions available, copy the full video to you PC, and run a full session CSV export to feed all of this into the overlaying tools.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
shaneeudy
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by shaneeudy »

OverRev wrote:...I m looking forward to the Android version, honestly HLT is the only program/reason i stay on iPhone or else i would have switched to GalaxyS3 months ago....
Did you know you can continue to use your old iPhone without cellular service after you've switched to a new device?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

OverRev wrote:.... and i hope current user of the iphone version would get a discount on the android version.. :)
You are joking, aren't you? Given the amount of work that must go into HLT, not to mention the time spent on support, Harry near enough gives it away already.
joe1111
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by joe1111 »

This is not a full GoPro video overlay but rather just one lap of GoPro video overlaid onto one lap of Harry Lap Timer data:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqNBiMJzW6Q

Shot during a NASA track day at Infineon/Sonoma Raceway. YouTube video description gives more details on how I did it using my PC and Camtasia Studio video editing software on it. Came out pretty well though...and of course I used my fastest lap video & data for this!
Fonzey
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Fonzey »

Hello Harry/Community.

Another new user here, and I'm very very impressed. HLT is an excellent app, and I feel I'm only scratching the surface with it.

I'm an Android user, and I'm vaguely aware that the Android dev curve for this is/was behind the iPhone. Is that still the case?

My Primary usage for HLT is GoPro footage with HLT overlays. I'm having my first play around now, my hardware is as follows:

Nexus 5 recording the laps with a XGPS160 as a BT external GPS receiver.
GoPro Hero 3 Silver recording video and sound.

I'm then migrating my clips and my HLT exports onto a Galaxy Tab 4 (as it's got more storage than the N5) to do the merges.

The main bit I'm struggling is lining up my "end of clip" with the start/finish line on the track I've attended. Mainly because there's no clear start/finish defined on the racetrack and I'm struggling to be precise when looking at the HLT track layout vs the "real life" footage. I understand that the iPhone version has got the functionality in which the app will start/stop recording of the GoPro automatically?! That's mental if so - and I'll seriously consider buying an iPhone to get that functionality alone...

Unless of course you tell me it's due any week now on Android ;)

One other "glitch", my overlays don't seem to report the G'Force meter readings, even though my data feeds do seem to include some GPS data. This may be my fault though as my Nexus is not properly mounted in the car, so could be a calibration/orientation issue.

I know I'm late to the party, but excellent app Harry - you could charge double per download and it would still be a steal.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi and welcome,

The biggest difference between Android and iOS is availability of LapTimer's top edition named "Grand Prix". This edition includes the external cam remote controlling, PiP capabilities, better sensor support and more analytic functions. LapTimer GP for Android has been deferred to early Spring next year (which means it will be ready for the next season). For existing users, there will be an upgrade option.

When it comes to other iOS/Android pros and cons, there is one item worth mentioning in addition. The Android platform / version cannot cope with iOS's video processing capabilities. The effect is, that overlays require 10 to 20 times more time to generate and are of lower quality.

So if you consider iOS anyway, LapTimer will clearly add arguments for this side. In case you prefer the Android side, that's fine too as it is improved constantly too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Fonzey
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Fonzey »

Thanks Harry :)

I'm unlikely to be on track until next season so I think I'll hold out.

I noticed that my overlaying takes a fair amount of time - but I've got no issues leaving it over night.
bozosTelemetry
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bozosTelemetry »

Harry wrote:
lunat1ck wrote:What I would really like to be able to do is two things: first, I would like to be able to import the video from the primary GoPro (the one on the harness bar) and then overlay the LapTimer data on top of that. Is that possible?
Yes, that's possible. I have outlined the process here: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Video.html
Search for "USING EXTERNAL VIDEO SOURCES" to get the steps. The description is not down to every button click but should give you an idea. In case you need more assistance, I'm happy to help. And I certainly appreciate the video created and your feedback on how you did it and how it works.

- Harry
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Video.html -> 404 Not found

Harry, how many employees do you have?
Looks like you are a victim of your own success