New Twist on Multiple cameras - Will it work

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

New Twist on Multiple cameras - Will it work

Post by llan981 »

I am going to try another option for multiple camera's. I have been using a GoPro 3 BE+ for 4 years at 1080P at 30FPS with spot on. Recently, I purchased from a used camera shop TWO (2) GoPro Silver 3's at $50/ea. My thought is to start HLT session manually and at same time press a GoPro wifi remote simultaneously which will turn all 3 camera's on a once. Conceptually, this should make start/start all at same synchonization point, then import the data into HLT using iFUNBOX or other tool, then pick the various data files, and overlay. Will let you know how successful this was after my next track event.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Twist on Multiple cameras - Will it work

Post by Harry »

Should work.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: New Twist on Multiple cameras - Will it work

Post by ereynold60 »

I have used a 'manually started' camera for a few years now... to get really good (perfect) synchronization, you need to first start you manual cams then Laptimer and its controlled cam. Drive your laps, then STOP (not cancel) Laptimer, and then stop the manual cams. I've found it is better to have the manual cams run video longer than the Laptimer cam (internal and/or external).

Now the really fun (not) part.... how to synchronize all these cams? You need a single event that gives your the "index" into each video to find a sync point. I've found it impossible to try and sight the S/F line or other track marker with any degree of accuracy. The benefit of starting all the cams while stationary on the grid is that each camera will "see" the first movement of the car when you begin to move.

If you desire 'perfect' sync, you need to find the exact frame that movement begins in each video file, which means viewing in a media player or editing software and determining "when" the first movement occurs in munites:seconds:frames. Then do the math to compute the delta to the video for the Laptimer camera. Use this delta to figure the "lap ending" time when you add the manual video to Laptimer.

It produces great results, but it is a lot of work to go to this degree.