Cure for Jello video shake in phone camera

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
svtdoug
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Cure for Jello video shake in phone camera

Post by svtdoug »

I am using an LG G5 phone to run Harry's Grand Prix and take video for on track HP and DE events. I have my phone mounted with the recommended RAM suction cup mount to the windshield. The issue is the video quality from the phone. I get major jello-ing affect in the video - very distorted video. I have tried the phone's several image stabilization settings, but none prove satisfactory. I know, one answer is to go with a separate GoPro camera, but that adds complexity which I would rather not add, if I can help it. Already enough complexity at this point, in the cockpit.

So my question is, is anyone getting reasonable video quality without the Jello affect from their phones, with a windshield mount? If so, what phone and model are you using?

Thanks much!

Doug
2018 Shelby GT350 - Leadfoot Gray with black strip
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cure for Jello video shake in phone camera

Post by Harry »

Optical image stabilization cannot be turned off for most phones. The moving lens vibrates with engine frequency creating the named effects. This is a problem for a higher level modern smartphones.

Known options (discussed a few times here on the forum already ;-) ):

1) Use an action cam
2) Use the front facing cam
3) Add a small magnet near the lens fixing vibrations

All of these have downsides. The last one may hark your video stabilization.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
maxgt4
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by maxgt4 »

Although this issue has in fact been discussed a few times I think it's not a problem with modern phones in general. I used Laptimer with the internal camera of a SONY Xperia SP, Xperia Z3 compact and the XZ1 compact, all mounted with a RAM MOUNT XGrip. None of them had a problem with shaky videos. I can just guess why, but maybe the video stablilization algorithm used by SONY is less aggressive (or they don't use it at all). Based on this experience I am currently thinking of getting a Xperia XZ3 especially for use with HLT (costs currently less than a GoPro Hero 7 black).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please do not mix up optical image / video stabilization and digital stabilization. While the later is depending on the algorithm chosen, the former is a mechanical thing - including a moving lense. You can turn off digital stabilization in LapTimer, the mechanical - if it exists at all - cannot be turned off by software. Not all modern smartphones feature this advanced optical stabilization, and I assume there are different solutions around being better or less suited for on track use.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
maxgt4
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by maxgt4 »

Thank you very much for the explanation, Harry. Based on the specs I believe the SONYs don't have the mechanical stabilization which might be the reason for the better results.