Huawei P20 Peo - video issues

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
bazza_c
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Huawei P20 Peo - video issues

Post by bazza_c »

Harry, are you aware of any known issues with Huawei P20 Pro. This is a new phone with a fresh install. Only 1 days recording. The lap data exists and can be exported analysed. You can watch the video with overlay within the app. Only when you try to create the video - problems occur. The app either hangs without doing anything. Or you get the 'master missing' and 'please wait' messages.

regards

Bazza
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Huawei P20 Peo - video issues

Post by Harry »

Switch to Software Video Encoding please. You can find that setting in LapTimer’s Expert Settings / Video Tweaks section.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
bazza_c
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bazza_c »

Thanks tried that and it fixed the issue. Interesting how it warns me that encoding a 2 minute video will take 39 mins, then completes it in only a few mins.

What's the reason for forcing a software encode? I thought the newer Android version could handle hardware encoding? At least my 'old' Samsung Galaxy S8+ can?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer supports two paths. One is using the CPU (Software) to encode videos and one using some hardware features supported by Android 5.1 and later. Part of the later is making it necessary to handle some hardware specific bit plane manipulation in LapTimer code. With manufacturers handling bit planes different all over the place, it is hard to support all devices. For these, you can still use the Software method. Google has not made a good job with this part of the OS. Too late and too inconvenient if you ask me. As your phone comes with a quite powerful CPU, the disadvantage does not seem to be too big...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image