Reference Lap Video Feature

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
cr0ssj
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Reference Lap Video Feature

Post by cr0ssj »

I was able to create the overlaid video. I was able to check that the use of the reference video was switched on. However, the reference video was not pulled in to show in the upper right of the screen. In reviewing the forum, I found a statement that the reference lap needed its own video. So I:

1) reverted the set of laps
2) went to the reference lap and exported just that lap to create an overlaid video
3) went back to the first lap in the set, selected all laps, exported
4) result was without the reference lap video showing up in the upper right

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
John
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reference Lap Video Feature

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Actually the reference lap needs to have any video associated. It is not necessary or recommended to have an overlaid video here. Overlays are too small when shown in the PiP, and misleading. There are a number of precondition to get a reference lap PiP:
  • Reference lap needs to have a video associated
  • LapTimer edition needs to be GrandPrix (or upgraded to GrandPrix)
  • The Reference Video option needs to be ticked in Video Overlay
  • The number of split times of lap and reference lap need to match
  • The lap needs to have split times (need to check why this is necessary, this is probably wrong)
  • The reference lap video must not be in the same session like the lap overlaid
Please check all of this conditions and we can further analyze the problem.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cr0ssj
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cr0ssj »

Harry, thank you for the response. Here's where I'm at with the pre-conditions and observations.

Actually the reference lap needs to have any video associated. It is not necessary or recommended to have an overlaid video here. Overlays are too small when shown in the PiP, and misleading. There are a number of precondition to get a reference lap PiP:

• Reference lap needs to have a video associated yes according to the lap list, (***) but looking at the last pre-condition, e.g., “reference lap not in the same session,” not sure how to make a lap video only without any overlay and make it a separate video?
• LapTimer edition needs to be GrandPrix (or upgraded to GrandPrix) yes
• The Reference Video option needs to be ticked in Video Overlay when I tick it I get an error – “Reference video overlay is available for single lap overlays only. Reduce the number of overlaps to one lap and try again.” Does this mean I have to create single lap videos then figure out how to create a single overlaid video to export.
• The number of split times of lap and reference lap need to match yes, 5 splits every lap
• The lap needs to have split times (need to check why this is necessary, this is probably wrong) yes, all laps have the 5 splits
• The reference lap video must not be in the same session like the lap overlaid not sure what this means – it’s the reference lap within the session and marked so in the lap list. There are 14 laps in the session. (***) How would I make sure that the reference lap video is not in the same session?

*** maybe the same question?

Please check all of this conditions and we can further analyze the problem.

- Harry
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

I forgot the precondition on single lap overlays - but the app takes care. ;-) This means, to get a reference PiP for a lap, you need to select a one lap overlay. This means when selecting Export from Lap List ‣ your lap, the range exported must not be extended to multiple laps. Instead, you need to keep the one lap selection shown initially.

On the reference lap that needs to be covered by a separate video... To make clear what this means, some basics: when LapTimer records a video, it starts with the first lap of the session and stops with the last one. So for example you do a session of 10 laps. This means you will come back with 10 entries in Lap List and one full session (raw) video covering the full session. The ten laps reference this single session videos - each with a different time range. The preconditions says that if you overlay lap #9 and the reference is lap #3 of the same session, this will not work. It will not work because lap #3 and lap #9 reference the same session long video. The reason for this is purely technical, not by design. In case the reference lap is from some other completely different session (with a different session video), the precondition is met. There are actually two work arounds: #1 is to copy the session video and switch lap #3 to the copied version. In case the session video is stored in LapTimer's sandbox, you can access / duplicate it using iTunes File Sharing. Memorize the name of the new video and goto lap #3. Tap the Video / Preview thumbnail. Find the Re-Link button in the bottom and select the duplicated video. #2 is what you actually did already: overlay lap #3 using Export. This will generate a new video (kind of a cutted and overlaid duplicate). The precondition will be met afterwards because lap #9 references the full session video while lap #3 references the new overlaid video.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cr0ssj
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cr0ssj »

Well, I'm probably looking at this too close. I seemed to make some progress, but tried to recreate on single laps only, but then started getting some inconsistent results, e.g., when I tried a new lap and added the reference video as the second video, I was not given an "export" option, rather only a "revert" option. I'm back to square one wondering what the overall process/work flow should look like and whether or not I messed up the data.

I think I've gathered this to date for iOS:

1. Prepare Race steps
2. Race
a. Turn video on to capture all laps
3. Analysis (Post Race)
a. Identify Reference lap
b. Make copy of full video with new name using the iTunes file sharing capability
c. Place this Reference Lap video copy back into the sandbox
d. Associate the Reference Lap (re-link), via the lap list, the correct Reference lap to the new Reference lap video
d1. Click "Export"
d2. Choose the Reference lap
d3. Swipe to the second screen of overlay options and turn "Reference" on
d4. Return to the first overlay screen and choose "Overlay"
d5. Check resulting Reference lap video via the Video list
4. Go back into the lap list, and re-link at least one lap to the original video - this will re-link all laps to the original video
a. In the lap list, go to the first (or any single) lap in the session that you would like to compare via the Reference lap PIP
b. Click the "Edit" button and then the "+" in the video section, to point to the Reference Lap video copy
c. Click "Export"
d. Pick the original lap in the lap slider which will be the target of the Reference PIP
e. Swipe to the second screen of overlay options and turn "Reference" on
f. Return to the first overlay screen and choose "Overlay"
g. Check resulting lap video with the expected PIP from the Video list
5. Repeat the steps in 4 for as many comparison videos as desired
6. ?Would have to use a 3rd party package to take the video clips and merge into a single video of the session, e.g., iMovie?

Am I getting close to understanding this?

Thanks,
John
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Items d1 / d2. The lap selected defines which lap will be overlaid as master. So if you select the reference lap for overlay, the reference lap will be overlaid. This will certainly not have the reference video as a PiP in addition - this would be the same video and makes no sense. So to get a lap #9 overlaid with the reference lap #3 as PIP (our sample), you need to select lap #9 from Lap List and run the video export.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image