Tonwon OBD - WiFi or BTLE?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
micblom
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Tonwon OBD - WiFi or BTLE?

Post by micblom »

Harry, there is a WiFi version of the TonWon OBD II adapter available. Are there any experiences with it? Can I expect higher update rates than with the Bluetooth 4 Version so that it is worth the hassle with WiFi?

Thanks, Michael
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tonwon OBD - WiFi or BTLE?

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The WiFi option is faster. I do not recommend it nevertheless for two reasons: 1) handling WiFi on track is very cumbersome and limits access to action cams 2) with LapTimer v22's optimizations, you will get 10 Hz (roughly 40 PIDs/s) or more for CAN cars - which is good enough. Non CAN cars will not even use the BT LE bandwidth.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
micblom
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by micblom »

Thanks for the Input! I don‘t like to rely on WiFi for my GoPro footage (and I like to have some room before and after the run, I do BTG 99% of the time).

As my knowledge is limited with this and for you ist is a 5s response: is a Leon Cupra of 2016 able to deliver the 10Hz? If the update rate is significantly lower I might not start with OBD Data after all.

Thanks, danke dir
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It should have a CAN bus - which means LapTimer v22 will apply a number of tweaks to get very fast update rates. I cannot give guaranties, but it should be in the 10 Hz range. Use the ECU filter described in "Addressing Specific ECUs (v22)" http://www.gps-laptimer.com/LapTimerDoc ... rogram.pdf

- Harry
Image Image Image Image