Splitting a session into two

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Splitting a session into two

Post by gremlin »

I thought I'd done this in the past but now I can't for the life of me figure out how I did it, nor can I seem to find anyone referencing how they've done it. My wife and I were sharing the car at an event this past weekend and usually I remembered to stop the session when she came in for the swap, but in one instance I did not. Is there a way to manually divide the session at a certain lap? (I know which lap it is because it's pretty long).

On a related note is there a way to reduce the time at which the software decides to create a new session?

thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Splitting a session into two

Post by Harry »

Session splits are derived from a time gap between the end of one lap and the start of the next one. The threshold can be configured in Expert Settings.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Thank you I'll go take a look there, is there a way to split up an existing session into two separate sessions to better track between two different drivers?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, session recognition is done automatically: "Session splits are derived from a time gap". As long as laps do not have a gap somewhere, they are not split.

To split between drivers, there is a better approach: use a tag "Driver A" and a tag "Driver B". Assign these tags to individual laps. Now, in Lap List, select Options / Filter in the top right. Here, you can add criteria lap list should be filtered by. Select Driver A here and you will see Driver A laps only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Yup I already do that, but I like to be able to do the tagging by "Session" and get all the laps. In addition I like to be able to see the appropriate colour in the session view to know which driver was driving each session. I typically look at my laps in session view, and not lap view all the time.

I'm guessing that there's no way to split the session up once it's created then, I was sure I had done it once before but I guess I'm wrong on that one.

Two feature requests then

1) Be able to split up sessions
2) I'd really like to be able to self select the colours on the tags, As it is I had to create several tags to get colours that were distinct enough that I could see the difference between the commonly used drivers I have. (My wife and I co-drive, then I often share data with a couple of friends so we can compare line differences). Then when I imported the laps to my ipad to look at them on a bigger screen the tags changed colour and were once again so similar that I can't tell the difference in the screen.

Thank you for the prompt response!
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

I spent this morning cleaning up my data, and I'm guessing that not many folks do multiple drivers in one car. Unfortunately I do this a lot as my wife and I share a car, and then I run local endurance races (24 hours of Lemons and Lucky Dog). Turns out the workflow of partially tagging a session with people is pretty onerous. Here's what I had to do.

1) Get to the session
2) Pick Tags
3) Pick one of the people, then answer "Session" to the "Lap/Session/Trackday" question of how much you want to tag
4) now go back to laps
5) For each lap that wasn't this driver:
1) Pick the lap
2) Click the new drivers tag
3) Answer "Lap" to the "Lap/SEssion/Trackday" question
4) Uncheck the first drivers tag
5) Lather rinse repeat

that loop is really time consuming, it'd really be great if I could pick a lap and say "Here, this is a new session"

As far as custom setting the threshold, I'm not sure I'm seeing where to do that. I think it's this value, but I don't know what the numbers mean:
IMG_4495.jpg
IMG_4495.jpg (234.55 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
It says seconds and it's set to 2, this seems odd to me....So I don't think this is the correct setting, and I didn't see anything else in expert settings that read to me like a session boundary.

thank you again for such an amazing product and the help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The setting is to tie laps into one session for cases in which there is a gap bigger than 0. So kind of your requirement the other way around.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Harry wrote:The setting is to tie laps into one session for cases in which there is a gap bigger than 0. So kind of your requirement the other way around.

- Harry
Oh I see, so this is when the end of a lap happens, but the start happens a while later, I'm not sure I understand how that would ever happen since don't those always occur at the same point on the track? (ideally start finish). So it looks like there's no way to address either of the issues I'm having apart from trying to remember to hit the stop button on the phone during drivers changes, which we got right for 7 of the 8 changes over the weekend.

I think in the future I'll see if I Can't take a look at the exported data format and see if I can't massage that to split the sessions when needed.