File size limit and orientation

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
cmhammock
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

File size limit and orientation

Post by cmhammock »

Two questions from a new user:
Setting up my newly installed petrolhead 21.2 on Samsung (Android). Trying to simulate starting a track session, I have everything configured (I think) and go into "Race", then press on the camera icon and get a status screen with several red flags. I understand about the GPS signal and track, but one red flag says "4GB File Limit" and the explanation points out that I can only record up to a 4 GB file because of the file system type. (I have 7 GB available internally and 24 GB on the ext card). That is fine, I don't plan on recording more than 4 GB (using HD). I cannot reformat my SD card now (to much other stuff on it). As I understand it, I cannot proceed with any red flags in the status display, so how do I get past the 4 GB file size limit red flag?
Probably a simple one..... Since I want to record some video along with other data, I'll be mounting my device in landscape mode. When I hold my phone (landscape mode) and start HLP, it always goes into portrait mode, so I'm reading everything sideways. I checked the Settings but could not find anything on this. How do I force/allow landscape mode?
Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: File size limit and orientation

Post by Harry »

Hi,

This means the storage place LapTimer will record data to has a 4GB file size limit. When LapTimer detects this situation, it will make this item "red" and the overall status "yellow". This means if all other reds go away, this check will make the overall status yellow. In general, LapTimer will not limit any operation based on this analysis. So as long as you know what you are doing, you can ignore it.

Orientation topic: not all views are available in portrait and landscape. In case you have selected a "portrait only" one (like Acceleration), you can't force it to landscape. Views like Timer are available in both orientation. In case you get a portrait version here, try flipping forth and back and it should change. NB: orientation will not change while driving! Otherwise any corner passed with > 1G lateral acceleration would flip the view...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cmhammock
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cmhammock »

The orientation was (surprise!) a user problem... Somehow I had changed the settings on my phone to not automatically change orientations. I fixed that and now HLP changes orientation fine.

OK, I understand about the file size, although making the status red in this case is, at least, misleading. But further on this, I got another 32 GB SD card and formatted it as the recommended exFAT and copied the other contents from the old card to the new one and have about 27GB free on it. When I go into HLP and "Race". I still get the red 4 GB message telling me to format using exFAT. From the answer, it sounds like this is not a real problem as I don't intend to video more than 4 GB at a time, but still a bit bothersome.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Losing videos or data because of a recognized issue is usually worth a warning. I see people running out of memory or battery every weekend. ;-)

In case you get the same warning as before, LapTimer probably selects your internal memory for video recordings. You can recognize the standard storage place by looking into Video List. The first section is the default storage place and the one the warning references to. This decision is made during startup, so you can try what happens after a restart of LapTimer (or reboot the phone).

Harry
Image Image Image Image
mrvedit2
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mrvedit2 »

Sorry for this (stupid) newbie question, but after several hours of limited success and perhaps getting confused by older posts, I have to ask:
Please confirm that the latest Grand Prix edition supports the typical GoPro 4 & 5 files of 3.x GB.
I can sync small test files, but have not yet synced a full-size file.
Older info found via Google seem to indicate a 2GB limit; assuming the current version supports 4GB, in what year did this change?
Thanks and again sorry for the Newbie question.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer processes video files of arbitrary size. At least 2 or 3 years now. GoPro's HERO cams are still limited and splits large videos into 4GB chunks. Join these chunks on a PC before morning them to you smartphone.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image