Cannot connect to GOPRO Hero 5 BE in Laptimer

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
gixerman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Cannot connect to GOPRO Hero 5 BE in Laptimer

Post by gixerman »

I have a Oneplus 3T with Android v 8.0.0. I use Grand Prix Edition v21.2. The Laptimer works fine but I cannot get the Laptimer app to recognize my Hero 5 BE in Video Operation. I connect to the cam fine with the GOPRO app via the wireless.
My friend has an Iphone 4 with which he easily connects to my cam using his Laptimer app.

I have followed the instruction in the documentation.

Any ideas on what might be the problem ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot connect to GOPRO Hero 5 BE in Laptimer

Post by Harry »

Make sure you kill the GoPro app. It will access the cam from background and actually screw things up. Make sure you are really connected to the GoPro's Wifi too. Late Android versions will bring up a dialog asking whether you really want to connect to a WiFi which has no Internet access. In case you do not confirm the connection, it will disconnect after a short time.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tem120
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tem120 »

I am having this exact issue. Mygopro works fine with the go pro app but it refuses to connect reliably the only way I've gotten it to work is forgetting the GoPro connection on my phone until pairing it then re pairing the go pro then it works until the go pro loses connection due to battery or shutting off . Then I once again need to forget the connection again .

I'm running a pixel XL and I did click the remain connected even though there is no internet option when I connect to the go pro but it still refuses to connect reliably
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As written above, please make sure you kill the GoPro app. Killing an app is different from sending it to background by pressing the home button (or back button multiple times). The way to do it differs by Android version and manufacturer.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tem120
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tem120 »

Yup did that I've been using Harry's lap timer for years now and this issue started recently within the last couple months . I made sure that go pro app was not running I only opened it up once to check if the GoPro just was not connecting to the phone.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The GoPro app used the BT connection to wake up the cam. Undocumented stuff. This is the reason, the sequence from 1) connecting the smartphone to the GoPro's Wifi and 2) enabling external video recording in LapTimer needs to be performed within a short time period. In addition, late Android versions check whether WiFi connections make Internet available. In case it doesn't (like the GoPro), the user is asked to confirm the connection or it is dropped.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Tem120
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Tem120 »

Ok I tried it again I forgot the connection , I remade it and it worked I shut the GoPro off turned it on again and tried to reconnect and got this

I made sure it said to remain connected even though there was no internet access
Attachments
Screenshot_20180814-092536.png
Screenshot_20180814-092536.png (222.62 KiB) Viewed 3624 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I shut the GoPro off turned it on again
After doing this, you need to join the WiFi network again. From the icons in the top, the WiFi is still connected, but this is fake. When turning the cam off (power off), you need to start the sequence from the beginning. This has been different for the HERO 3 / 3+ where the WiFi module worked independent from the cam power state. Late HEROs do not really have the WiFi active when the cam has been turned off. They show WiFi on, but it isn't to save power. It needs to be revived using their private BT trick. LapTimer doesn't.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gixerman
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by gixerman »

Thanks for replies.
I got the camera connected now, so hopefully it will work.
flyingflatfour
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by flyingflatfour »

Have been having some trouble getting my GoPro 7 Black to connect reliably to my android 8.1.0 smartphone in LapTimer GrandPrix edition.

After reading this thread I have learned that the GoPro app must be killed so that it doesn’t interfere, but that the GoPro still needs that app to connect to the WiFi via BT... a little confusing :lol:

Could anyone confirm that the correct sequence is as follows:

1) launch the GoPro app, connect to the camera
2) kill the app
3) verify android is still connected to the GoPro WiFi and confirm it has no internet connectivity so it stays connected
4) launch laptimer and check that status in timer mode : camera with green and blue dots blinking

This has to be performed every time the GoPro is turned off?

Is there anyway we could make this simpler? :?

Could this step by step procedure be added to the documentation because it’s not so clear right now...

Another thing: laptimer would change the GoPro settings when it connects to it, downgrading the video quality from 4K to 1080p, until I chose the option « none » instead of « master » under MultiCam Control / MultiCam Settings.... not sure this is documented either.

Keep up the good work !