Online Viewing

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
2thomas
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Online Viewing

Post by 2thomas »

Hello, i am pretty new here and walked through this awesome app a whole day. plain straight forward and fantastic.
One thing i can not test (like driving on my own created track): how exactly is online viewing working. i am sitting at home and select the NordschleifeBTG. i can see the outline and some lap-times, changing frequently - but no cars. in the lower display it shows always some cars online and watching, but nothing on the track. do i have to be close to the track or how can i make this possible? also when i select my own created track, there are lap-times on the display. where are they coming from?
thank you for the help

thomas
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Online Viewing

Post by Harry »

Hi Thomas,

The Online View logic is as follows:

Every certified track set (downloaded from 'Tracks') has a unique ID. The Online View, with a certified track selected (use the small wrench), will show the last 10 lap times performed on this track. In addition, it will show the track's shape - as long as you have driven this track yourself and collected the shape. NordschleifeBTG is a bit special, as LapTimer comes with two laps performed on this track - as a minimal sample to play around in the beginning.

Finally, all LapTimer users currently performing on the track will be shown with their three digit id. The status line displays the number of LapTimer users currently lapping overall, and the number of users currently watching the Online View.

The number of concurrent users varies a lot. There are times not one user is lapping, and numbers up to 30 or 40.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
2thomas
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by 2thomas »

Ok, it means that I saw drivers performing laps but not on the nordschleife?

Thomas
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes
Image Image Image Image
2thomas
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by 2thomas »

Mh, where are the drivers I can see on my private "track" ? They are listed with the 3 letter code.

Thomas
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Oh yes, I missed that point in the description above:

As long as you have not selected a certified trace set (which means the 'unique ID' is zero), the list of times is simply the list of last 10 times on any track. In your case, although you have have selected the preloaded track set NordschleifeBTG, the track set is most probably not certified. So LapTimer shows the shape it derives from the currently selected track named 'NordschleifeBTG', but does not have an idea it is in fact the track set with ID 1000 (which is NordschleifeBTG). To have a certified track set, download / re-download from 'Tracks'. Below is a picture from NordschleifeBTG with a certified track set (note the 'ID: 1000' text).

- Harry

Image Image Image Image
2thomas
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by 2thomas »

ok, think i got it. that means i cannot see any car on the vln today using your software. is there a way to get the "driven lap" for import and than it works? i have to drive it first by myself?

thomas
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

2thomas wrote:ok, think i got it. that means i cannot see any car on the vln today using your software. is there a way to get the "driven lap" for import and than it works? i have to drive it first by myself?
Yes, or you find someone who exports you a lap using the .hlptrl format. I have this 'track shape enrichment' for track sets on my list, but it is not yet implemented.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
2thomas
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by 2thomas »

Alright. thank you for the info. anyway, what is the setting Publish "always" for? nobody will see me unless i am driving on a certified track? right?. for me it means, it is unnecessary to broadcast always cause you will see me only while lapping anyway? So, what is the difference between Lapping and Always mode? would i see someone on the map on the autobahn close to me in always mode?

sorry for asking so much, but i like this feature much and try to understand it.

thomas
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Lapping = sends times lapped to Harry's Server, sends position while lapping (on track)
Always = sends times lapped to Harry's Server, sends position while LapTimer is up and running (always)

For most users, Lapping or Never is the correct setting. I use 'Always' from time to time so users can find me :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image