What to buy -- Lap timer regular? Pro? Optrix Videopro?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
gshopper
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

What to buy -- Lap timer regular? Pro? Optrix Videopro?

Post by gshopper »

I am looking for an app which can turn my iphone4 into a video recorder which can overlay a track map, accelerometer data, speed, and time. I want to review the videos for myself and also bad able to post them on sites like youtube. It seems like video pro can do this, but can lap timer do this too? For those who bough lap timer over video pro, why did you do it, and what advantages does lap timer provide over video pro? And, when the update to v15 comes out, will it improve some of the criticisms of lap timer (being able to record only one lap at a time) for all of the programs, or will only one of the above choices get the update?

Also, what is the difference between lap timer, and lap timer pro? The documentation on iTunes store was not too specific?

Thanks in advance. I'm anxious to get one of these apps, but I have so many choices....
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: What to buy -- Lap timer regular? Pro? Optrix Videopro?

Post by hms »

On his site, Harry has a comparison chart of the laptimer products,
http://gps-laptimer.de/LapTimer_Products.html
Not sure how up to date this is but it will at least give you an idea.
I think the Optrix has limited functionality, but you have to buy the case to get it, so unless you have a need for the case!
By video pro, do you mean Lap Timer Pro?
Lap timer pro will do all you're ask of it, it will record all laps, not alternate laps as per the current version (v14). Each lap will be it's own seperate video, not one continuous video af all laps. Not a problem to me as I want to compare one lap against another, nice to have the video already cut to length!
Harry has also stated in an earlier post that v15will increase in price, (he didn't state to what), however if you buy v14 now you get a free upgrade to v15.
I'd bite the bullet and go for the pro version.
For the sake of clarity, I have no connection with Harrys Lap Timer, just one very happy customer.
h

Edit.
Have just worked out, OK I'm slow!, Videopro is the version of HLT included with the Optrix case.
Last edited by hms on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

LapTimer Pro is the premium app, it includes all functionality all other named apps include. VideoPro is currently a little ahead of time (v14.5 compared to v14.4 LapTimer versions). The named limitation (record every other lap) in LapTimer 14.4 is the same in VideoPro 14.5 but will be removed in all 15.0 version. VideoPro v15 is not yet scheduled, LapTimer (all versions) v15 is in Apple review currently. The differences between LapTimer Standard and Pro are documented here in detail: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/LapTimer_Products.html

As this is probably a little complex, here is the simple one:

With LapTimer Pro you are in the save side - but it is a little more expensive
Optrix VideoPro is easy to use, but extremely limited in functionality compared to LapTimer

One final point: Optrix is fully landscape, LapTimer is currently not (except the Video View).
I'm just in v16 release planning, landscape is on top of the list - but v16 will be Autumn 2012

Just saw the post from HMS in parallel, that's good additional information / judgment.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gshopper
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by gshopper »

This sounds great. I'm going to go with LT pro. Might be more than I need right now, but as I do more, it will always be what I need. Thanks for making this app; I'm excited to use it.