iPhone not tied to a phone service

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

iPhone not tied to a phone service

Post by rbpeirce »

I have a 5S that I am thinking about upgrading. I currently use the 5S with HLT. If I switch to a new device, will I still be able to us the 5S with HLT and will I be able to upgrade the software going forward?

I originally got the 5S to combine a PDA and a cell phone into one device. I guess I'm asking if I can use the 5S as a PDA!
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPhone not tied to a phone service

Post by Harry »

Yes, you can use LapTimer without phone service provided you can join a WiFi from time to time.

Track sets can be loaded before going to the track. Once loaded, they are stored locally and will be used automatically.

App updates will be pulled from the store while in a WiFi too.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cleggmeister
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Cleggmeister »

Similar question - I've just used my old phone (Moto G4 Android) as a dedicated HLT camera/recorder. No sim card installed. I can't get GPS or speed overlay now, even though the phone has inbuilt GPS. Do I need a SIM card in the device or am I missing a setting to be able to record speed/location. I have offline maps in Google enabled and updated every 24 hours on wifi.
RenaultSport Twingo RS133
Harry's Lap Timer :)
Moto G4 Android
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GPS does not require cellular services to work. It max take slightly more time to get the first fix, but once you are connected, there is no difference.

In car you get no GPS lock - please check your mounting position. See illustration #3 in Quick Reference.

Harry

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cleggmeister
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Cleggmeister »

Thanks Harry, and sincere apologies - I was being stupid - the phone had been factory reset and was set to "GPS low accuracy" i.e. triangulation. I've set it to High Accuracy and it's working perfectly. Many thanks again.
RenaultSport Twingo RS133
Harry's Lap Timer :)
Moto G4 Android