Laptimer with Go Pro Hero 6

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
norMcal
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Laptimer with Go Pro Hero 6

Post by norMcal »

I'm new to this forum but have been using HLT for many years with my iphone(s). It seems that the last year, since switching to the iPhone 7 plus, my video quality is just not as good anymore. I mean it was never great, but now it is downright junk. So I decided to finally get a Go Pro and since the Hero 6 just came out I ordered this last model.

I'm wondering what the easiest way is to get overlay videos with the Go Pro and does the Hero 6 change anything from previous models. I have never done it with any previous models, but have read a couple of posts where it describes importing the video in to the iPhone and then overlay. Wondering the 6 makes anything easier?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Laptimer with Go Pro Hero 6

Post by Harry »

I cannot confirm operation at all so far. I will probably add official support for LapTimer v22 (Spring 2018) but cannot sybif the process can be made more convenient.

Once you have your 6, please let us know if it is working using the HERO 5 selection.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
norMcal
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by norMcal »

Harry wrote:I cannot confirm operation at all so far. I will probably add official support for LapTimer v22 (Spring 2018) but cannot sybif the process can be made more convenient.

Once you have your 6, please let us know if it is working using the HERO 5 selection.

Harry
I just got my 6 and so far I have not been able to get it to sync, although that is not saying it wouldn't work. I am just a newbie on this, sorry! So first question is, do I even have the best Harrys Lap Timer? I bought this app years ago. Looks like I have the Grand Prix Edition, Version 21.0.11 Petrolhead Edition.

So right now I would just love it if I could get Harrys lap timer to use the external video, but when I select either option it says, no external device connected. Shouldn't this work via blue tooth?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, it works through WiFi. Please follow instructions in Video Documentation (www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation). This doc includes detailed instructions on setting up the connection for recording, recording, transferring footage once back from the track, and re-link and overlay videos afterwards.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
racepace
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by racepace »

It seems like the Hero 6 has a slightly different REST API, but I'm not sure how it differs. It definitely didn't work for me. I switched to a GoPro Hero 6 from a Hero 2 w/WiFi bacpac (which worked successfully at many other events) just before a race at Laguna Seca a few weeks back. Despite having the proper GoPro password set, the iPhone connected to the GoPro Hero 6 WiFi network, the app would not trigger the camera to start (the app was timing laps fine, and the iPhone video was recorded). The Hero 6 was configured correctly, it was set to not go to sleep, and would beep when you clicked the "Video" button and select the iPhone + External camera option. The Harry's Lap Timer app detected the camera and showed it as a Hero 5.

Any chance we can get Hero 6 support in the next month (next event is coming up quickly).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I will do my best to add that to v22 (Spring release). Please join the beta program once it is announced. I do not have a HERO6 available, so HERO6 testers are highly welcome! ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
racepace
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by racepace »

Harry wrote:I will do my best to add that to v22 (Spring release). Please join the beta program once it is announced. I do not have a HERO6 available, so HERO6 testers are highly welcome! ;-)
Happy to help!
javoresku
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by javoresku »

I will be happy to test on Android, if more testers are needed.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 + Gopro HERO6 + Garmin GLO.
Sideshow
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Sideshow »

Hi Harry

I want to buy a GoPro soon. My first one.
Which is the best working with the laptimer?

Hero 6 would be great due to the far better stabilization capability.
But if it doesn't work at all with the laptimer, it's useless, right?
Or can I sync it manually?

Cheers
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I do not have any experience with the Hero6 but can say that video stabilization has not been necessary since the Hero2. The problem with stabilization is that cams are optimized for a certain recording scenario. For smartphones and action cams this is the situation you hold the cam in you (shaking) hand. This is a completely different situation while on track. For smartphones, all stabilization features made the results worse. Or in other words: there is no reason to prefer the H6 over a H3 etc because it has this feature, it is probably the other way around.

As written in another thread, GoPro plans have changed since they have dropped their 3rd party developer program some weeks ago. I will probably add some tweaks for the H6 in v22, but the situation has become difficult... I tend to recommend older models with simple communication features now. This mean no Session either - they are hard to handle.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image