BHP showing in Overlay

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
llan981
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

BHP showing in Overlay

Post by llan981 »

As built, my 2013 Boxster S (981) has horsepower specification of 315hp at 6700RM. Recently I did an ECU tune from Softronic which reportedly increased HP to 360.

I did not do a before or after dyno but at a recent track event using HLT and GOPOINT BT1 it was showing HP past 350+ HP without other engine, header, or exhaust MODs.

Can the representation from HLT be true? Look at 2:09 forward. https://youtu.be/ojcZmgITmmc

Also at times during video, HP drops to zero, if that expected or is there an advanced setting to change?

Harry, looking for your expert opinion on this matter.

Thanks
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: BHP showing in Overlay

Post by Dubbedown »

That's odd, maybe it's car obd dependent but on my Z4, the hp readout is contingent upon default #'s in database or whatever I override as max in car profile (also function of the gearing). I'm surprised that Lap Timer read out new [higher] hp numbers automatically for your 981.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BHP showing in Overlay

Post by Harry »

HP is no OBD value, it needs to be calculated. The value shown in video overlays is a simple approximation from rpm and max power configured. So this is nothing you can use to measure power but just a display of how much of the engine's power you are actually using (or not using because your didn't shift down early enough).

Compared to this, the HP value shown in Engine view results from a pretty sophisticated calculation of engine power based on OBD values likes mass air flow, engine and intake type, manifold air pressure, volumetric efficiency etc. Any engine tuning should result in a corresponding new power range.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image