Restoring .hlptrl file

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Restoring .hlptrl file

Post by rbpeirce »

The instructions say to have the file on the device you want to restore to. That's fine, but how do you get it there?

The main reason to mail it is so you can remove the data from your phone and free up space. So the file and any sent mail is removed.

If I mail the data to myself it ends up on my MacBook Pro, not my iPhone. How do I get it on my iPhone or is there a way to access the MBP from my iPhone? I'm not aware of a way but I am not an expert.
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Restoring .hlptrl file

Post by rbpeirce »

The source for this is identified on my computer as [HOWTO] Creating backups and restoring - Harry's GPS Suite Forum.pdf.
I can't seem to find it now and I have no idea where I got it in the first place!
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

If I mail the data to myself it ends up on my MacBook Pro, not my iPhone. How do I get it on my iPhone or is there a way to access the MBP from my iPhone? I'm not aware of a way but I am not an expert.
You must be downloading the email from your server to your MacBook Pro. Your iPhone can't access it if it isn't on the email server. Open a web based email account like Yahoo Mail and use that. My understanding is that there are problems with Gmail reformatting files. That may be out of date. Another possibility is to use Dropbox. That's free too for the first GB or so of capacity.
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

Thanks.

Yes, I download and delete mail. Until I download it I DO get it on my iPhone but that is too iffy. Dropbox works better.

I was able to put it in dropbox. Than I played around with it a bit to see how to open it. Looks like it should work great.
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

I have my .hlptrl file in Dropbox. Now I can't get it out!

Originally, I tested this and thought it worked. Now it doesn't.
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

What happens when you select the file in Dropbox? And please post your system configuration.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

Nothing. If I double-click on it it asks me to Select an Application, Cancel or Search the App Store. None of the available applications are LapTimer.

This is on a Mac Mini. The phone is attached and accessible via iTunes but Dropbox doesn't seem to know about it.

The file is /Users/rbp/Dropbox/Apps/HarrysLapTimerProfessional/LapTimer-0008-20170806-191222/LapTimer-0008-20170806-191222.hlptrl
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You need to select the file from Dropbox on your *phone*.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rbpeirce
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rbpeirce »

If I select the file it just shows its contents. None of the options seem to relate to LapTimer. Do you think something has changed in Dropbox?
2012 Porsche Cayman R
2016 Audi A7
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, it is complicated... One way I have found is Dropbox ‣ select file. Once the content is shown, select the three dots in the top right and Export. Now, select the Open In... AppStore icon. Now, you should see LapTimer as an option. In case this doesn't work for you, add the file to a mail and open this mail on your phone (and touch attachment to open it).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image