Why is video work so difficult??

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
lostpilot28
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Why is video work so difficult??

Post by lostpilot28 »

I just bought a GoPro Hero4 Session and I'm having trouble with a couple of things.

First, the Hero4 Session uses WiFi, and I find that it disconnects all the time. If I'm in the GoPro application it works, but the second I back out of the GoPro app I lose the WiFi connection. I've found that I can leave the GoPro app running, and switch to Harry's Laptimer and only occasionally it will continue to "see" the GoPro. Most of the time it says "no multi video source available". Very frustrating! Not sure which app is in control of the GoPro, but can someone list the steps for an Android phone (Galaxy s7 here on Nougat) to even get the GoPro to be recognized by HLT?
- On a side note, it seems that HLT should control the GoPro without needing the GoPro app to work.

Secondly, because I can't seem to get HLT to control the GoPro, I resorted to manually starting the GoPro after I manually start HLT. Getting the video transferred to my phone wasn't a problem, but the "syncing" section of HLT is asking me to identify the finishing trigger on the GoPro video. Without showing the Master video there's no way to identify when that point actually is.

If someone would be so kind as to detail the configuration in HLT for their GoPro along with how to get it to start recording correctly, I would greatly appreciate it.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why is video work so difficult??

Post by Harry »

LapTimer does. The GoPro app is needed to configure the cam for first time use. Once this is done, kill it and do not run it in parallel to LapTimer.

To connect the Session, turn WiFi on and connect your smartphone to this WiFi. When asked if the connection should be kept although it does not provide Internet access, confirm. Next, start LapTimer and enable external video recording in Timer / Video / Video Operation. This will start sending stay alive messages to not allow the cam to go to power saving.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

PS: to set the sync point, transfer the video first. The sync dialog will show the master provided it is readable by LapTimer. Make sure you use a standard video format as listed in Video Documentation available from LapTimer's home page.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
lostpilot28
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by lostpilot28 »

Thanks, Harry...that did the trick. I'm not sure why, but sometimes in the "System ready" box (before starting a race) the Multi Cam doesn't show up...but you are right that it'll record. It worked today pretty well. I just don't get to see the PiP view in the "Preview window". Apparently, running the GoPro app at the same time was causing some kind of conflict...NOT running it seemed to sort things out.

New question for you, though...is there a way to set 2 starting points and 2 stopping points? This may be the wrong idea, but let me explain. With autocross, you have a starting area that's about 10 - 20 feet behind the actual starting line. I can set HLT at the start and finish, and it works flawlessly and records video. The issue I'm trying to resolve is how to start the video before the car is moving...so you get an Intro. Same thing for the Outro...just set a 2nd point where the video stops.

I may have asked about this (or read someone else's post) last year when I was trying to get around the issue of no intro or outro video, and I ended up using Manual Timing mode which seemed to work pretty well. The problem I'm seeing, and a local driver who also has your app see this (not sure of his settings, though) is that we get a BUNCH of small recordings and lap times. When I go to do an overlay it seems to work pretty well, and starts the overlay the instant I hit the starting line.

The issue that we're seeing is the multiple small files that we have to sort through if we want to analyze the run or whatever. It'd be ideal if there was a single counted run file when we cross the start/finish, and only the accompanying video from when we hit the Record button.

If there's a way to avoid the pile of files, I'd love to know how to do this.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you are using a standard start trigger (not a standing start), please enable Manual Timing in LapTimer's Settings first. Setup your system including video operation. Drive to staging area and start a manual recording using the Start button available now. Once you start and cross the line, LapTimer will finish the manual "lap" and start a new one. Video will continue until you press Stop (once you have stopped again).

Harry
Image Image Image Image
lostpilot28
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by lostpilot28 »

Yes, that's what I did last year and it worked pretty well. But, I have one request, and one issue to report.

Request - is there a way to automate the recording so that it starts (for example) 50 feet away from the standard start trigger? This could be the same for the "outro" with an automated stop of video recording 50 feet (or whatever defined distance) from the stop trigger.

The issue - as mentioned before I get a bunch of small files when using the Manual Timing function. It makes it very difficult to sort through the lap files and video files between laps so you can analyze your lap. I'm not sure if the small files are needed, and if not, then how do we get rid of them? If they are needed (as part of the lap you just ran), is there a way to combine it with the main file to reduce clutter?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No option to get automated video intro and outro currently. It is quite complicated as a front up guess is needed. I have that on my list nevertheless, both an automated approach and triggers starting / stopping video recording only.

Manual timing will give you "incomplete" laps for the distance from manual start to starting line. You can delete this laps, they are slightly dimmed in Lap List.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
flawlessninja
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by flawlessninja »

lostpilot28 wrote:New question for you, though...is there a way to set 2 starting points and 2 stopping points? This may be the wrong idea, but let me explain. With autocross, you have a starting area that's about 10 - 20 feet behind the actual starting line. I can set HLT at the start and finish, and it works flawlessly and records video. The issue I'm trying to resolve is how to start the video before the car is moving...so you get an Intro. Same thing for the Outro...just set a 2nd point where the video stops.
Harry wrote:In case you are using a standard start trigger (not a standing start), please enable Manual Timing in LapTimer's Settings first. Setup your system including video operation. Drive to staging area and start a manual recording using the Start button available now. Once you start and cross the line, LapTimer will finish the manual "lap" and start a new one. Video will continue until you press Stop (once you have stopped again).

Harry
I have had some similar difficulties in the app with standing start races, like autocross. When I used the app yesterday the recording would start about a second and a half too late and all my starts were missed (video starts at the first cone rather than the launch); however, the timer started as soon as the car moved, as it is intended to.

I'm going to try the standard start method next time to see if that works the way I want it to.

I had another idea for standing start functionality, though. When using a standing start, video recording should begin once the "staged" button is tapped so the launch can be captured, then the video recording should continue until the user manually stops recording so the entire flying finish can be captured.

The timing functionality works fine aside from the distance to the timing lights that lostpilot mentioned. Although, I think this can be worked around by setting the finish line a little early. The timer can't sync up with the timing lights anyway, so there's no need to perfect it in the app...

Thoughts?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Good idea.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image