Overlaying GPS speed rather than OBD?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
jp.fox
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Overlaying GPS speed rather than OBD?

Post by jp.fox »

Thanks Harry, I couldn't find any settings to throttle the GPS device to 5Hz, a quick search shows I should be able to do this using a Qstarz programme, possibly this one? http://www.qstarz.com/download.php?t=5&m=BT-Q818XT I'll give it a try tomorrow to see if that helps.

Using the GPS at 1Hz, the rpm and throttle position are now smooth (which means the video playback is much better) but it doesn't seem to be refreshing very often, I can often blip the throttle and it doesn't recognise it, which means the throttle position is often way out, It seems that the OBDLink MX isn't sending many responses. Do you think this is related to the fact I'm using a 2004 Renault Clio and is unrelated to the gps sensor or phone that I'm using? Just trying to work out if I can resolve the issues with a new gps sensor (I'd be happy with 5Hz GPS and smooth obd data), a new phone (my contract is up in the next month or so and I plan to choose a replacement based mainly on video quality and spec for HLT) or whether they only logical thing I can do to get smooth GPS data and smooth OBD data is to buy a newer car to use on track... Which is obviously a perfectly good reason to buy a new car!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Overlaying GPS speed rather than OBD?

Post by Harry »

As long your OBD update rate is stable (+- 1 Hz), i.e. there are no communication issues, the car's bus speed is the bottle neck. The OBDLinks are very fast.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image