Why isn't there an annual contract ?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Why isn't there an annual contract ?

Post by swbca3691 »

Advanced software under continuous development and user support built for a niche market should be sold under an Annual Maintenance Contract

Nobody wants to think about, but in USA "lap days" cost your customers $1000-$2000 USD per day in fees, event-insurance, tires, brakes components, fuel, travel. This doesn't count the cost of low level track related upgrades. For your customers, your software becomes an essential item that should be paid for, not used free year after year except for the trivial initial cost. Won't Apple and Google let you use a subscription, or maintenance contract pricing model ?

Delete or move this post if you don't want it under "Using Lap Timer"
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why isn't there an annual contract ?

Post by Harry »

There are subscription models available now, but I do not like them too much. One thing requested by developers a lot are paid updates. But this model is not supported by Apple and Google so far. One can simulate this be releasing new major releases as new apps, but this is probably unfair for the existing user base.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by swbca3691 »

As you know, "line of business software" (SAP, Oracle etc) is usually sold with an annual fee to continue usage, not just for updates. You mentioned what is fair to your user base. I would argue it isn't fair to the developer to have his software and support available forever with essentially no cost to his user base. Is there enough growth in your user base that you can be fairly compensated without ever having a "repeat" customer ? I bought a program from a developer in Lithuania about 20 years ago for $10.00. I am still using it every day and it is still being updated.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That's the subscription model (on a yearly base) - and can be done using Apple's and Google's distribution models. The point I do not like about this model is users need to exit the model actively. Personally, I always feel ripped by abos. I'd prefer the "I'm willing to spend the bucks for new features" or "I keep my version" model. That's what I meant with paid updates. But it is not available yet. One can mimic this using in app purchases, but that is getting very complicated for users again. Rookie ‣ Petrolhead ‣ GrandPrix evolved like this, but I had to simplify the model after 2 years.

Anyway, I will watch what happens store-wise and appreciate you are taking care. :-)

I like the idea existing users appreciate the updates and recommend LapTimer to others. So far it works o.k.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Qomomoko
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Qomomoko »

Harry.. though no one or most do not want to pay more for something that is currently a one time fee, I would but that depends on the yearly fee .. LOL...

Any how, I logged on to say thanks to you for all the work. Have used your program since I started riding motorbikes 7 or so years ago and just starting using it again and appreciate it even more.

Thanks again and I certainly do recommend to others your programs, I put up videos of usage and set up on forums and my youtube channel, a way of paying it forward for all the help and info that is available on the internet.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Qomomoko wrote:Harry.. though no one or most do not want to pay more for something that is currently a one time fee, I would but that depends on the yearly fee .. LOL...

Any how, I logged on to say thanks to you for all the work. Have used your program since I started riding motorbikes 7 or so years ago and just starting using it again and appreciate it even more.

Thanks again and I certainly do recommend to others your programs, I put up videos of usage and set up on forums and my youtube channel, a way of paying it forward for all the help and info that is available on the internet.
Thanks. Your word of mouth is very helpful and highly appreciated!

@All, One way to do this is leaving reviews on the stores! Thanks for your help.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image