Phone not "talking" to camera

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
wdonovan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Phone not "talking" to camera

Post by wdonovan »

Hi. Currently using an Android Turbo and Sony HDR-AS20. I understand I have to manually sync but the documentation seems to imply that the phone should tell the camera when to start and when to stop. Single seat open cockpit car. Phone on left fender, camera on roll hopp, literally 3 feet (1 meter) from each other with no obstruction between. When I start HLT and ready for race, it sees the camera but it does not start the camera recording. I also found this forum thread:
viewtopic.php?t=3214
and this user claims to have the same hardware as me communicating correctly. Thoughts? Is there some settings I must change? Using GP version 20 something (installed maybe 3 months ago).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Phone not "talking" to camera

Post by Harry »

Not a known issues, some thoughts:

- check if smartphone is connected to Sony's WiFi
- make sure you have no other app running (in background) accessing the phone
- install latest Sony cam firmware
- make sure you have selected Sony Cam as external cam type in LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings

You can test operation during preparation by triggering a manual recording: enabled Manual Timing in Settings. This will add a Start button in Timer View. Setup LapTimer as usual and enable external cam operation in Timer ‣ Video ‣ Video Operations. Wait until you get a connected status and return to Timer. Press Start. Both lap recording and the cam should start.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
wdonovan
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by wdonovan »

Thank you. It communicates now. I think that Sony's software which was minimized but not shut was interfering with it. What threw me was that it said it recognized the camera but it just would not start it at the stop/go point.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes. The connection message is issued when the cam is recognized. This does not necessarily mean it is communicating reliably.

Harry
Image Image Image Image