Video Exposure Setting - Android

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Video Exposure Setting - Android

Post by swbca3691 »

On Sunny days, the blue sky and the track expose evenly in the video. On some cloudy the sky can be much brighter than the track, so with auto-exposure the track-activity is often under-exposed because the camera is averaging exposure with the brighter sky.
-
Your "exposure lock" setting could be used to correct for this but the user would have to aim the camera down at the track to lock in on the darker track surface. With a camera mount carefully aimed correctly, this is another pre-session task that could be hard to fit into a driver's check list of things to do.
-
Is there a way for your programming to control light exposure based on the bottom half of the image, rather than the default averaging that the camera uses automatically ?

UNDER-EXPOSED TRACK ACTIVITY
Last edited by swbca3691 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Exposure Setting - Android

Post by Harry »

[Moved to Feature Requests]

I need to check - most probably this is possible. But I'm not sure if focussing the bottom will always result in what is expected, so it needs to be another setting making the use for the majority more difficult? Need to think about it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Video Exposure Setting - Android

Post by swbca3691 »

I added the photo in the original post showing an example where it would be good to auto-expose the track area rather than the full frame.

If it was possible, maybe the default setting for exposure could put more weight on the bottom half of the image, since that is where "the subject" of the video is located.