LapTimer documentation

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

LapTimer documentation

Post by Harry »

I receive frequent requests on LapTimer documentation. Here are the main directions:
  • LapTimer documentation is available online only. Follow the 'LapTimer Documentation' link on http://www.gps-laptimer.de to get an introduction. LT's documentation received some critics in the early days. Today it is sometimes behind development, but has a lot of in depth chapters you will not find anywhere else.
  • Currently, there is no manual available. Instead, you need to go through the web pages above.
  • Documentation is available in English only. LapTimer is a spare time activity / hobby and I simply cannot afford the time for maintain a second language.
  • The only exception is the Quick Reference included in LapTimer (follow 'More' and press 'Help' to get there). This Quick Reference is available in English and German.
  • Written by a non native speaker, the texts are bumpy sometimes. In case you have suggestions on improved wording - thanks for your feedback.
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
czarsmith
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: LapTimer documentation

Post by czarsmith »

Hello Harry...

I'm a new user of your Lap Timer Pro product. I'm also retired. I have a lot of experience with technical documentation - 45 years in IT development - and also working with newspaper editorial systems. If you'd like I would be glad to edit the documentation for you as regards English usage and wording and since I will be using the product I should be able to do the editing with an understanding of what the systems are doing or supposed to be doing.

Let me know...

Herb
mass
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mass »

Harry,

I loyally apple the amount of time and effort you have put forth in your lap timer application (I have the professional version). Really....who else has a forum dedicated to future development and trouble shooting linked to their product. I am pleased with my purchase and have been promoting your product to people I know in the weekend track day community. Best wishes on future success.
mass
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mass »

apple = appreciate (f*cking iPhone auto correct)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

mass wrote:Harry,

I loyally apple the amount of time and effort you have put forth in your lap timer application (I have the professional version). Really....who else has a forum dedicated to future development and trouble shooting linked to their product. I am pleased with my purchase and have been promoting your product to people I know in the weekend track day community. Best wishes on future success.
Image Image Image Image
SteveK
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by SteveK »

Dear Harry,

I greatly appreciate the astounding effort you have put in to create and refine this app. I purchased the Pro edition a few days ago along with the Tom Tom Car Kit for use with my iPod Touch 2. I know I will figure this out at some point, but right now it is extremely frustrating not to have clear, straightforward directions (with a pdf file that can be downloaded and printed) to get started. I think that things that are so clear to you and perhaps others are not clear to me (and probably many others). I've read the Quick Reference and the online articles/documentation along with many discussions on various online forums but still have not been able to set up a "track" (a loop around my home's subdivision) even though I think I've set up a start/finish point. I know it should be easy to add intermediate triggers and start the timer, but I can't figure it out.

I'm excited when I see what others are experiencing and know that I will get there, but it really should be more obvious. Any suggestions?

Again, thank you.

Steve K.
ruf_turbo
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ruf_turbo »

SteveK wrote:Dear Harry,

I greatly appreciate the astounding effort you have put in to create and refine this app. I purchased the Pro edition a few days ago along with the Tom Tom Car Kit for use with my iPod Touch 2. I know I will figure this out at some point, but right now it is extremely frustrating not to have clear, straightforward directions (with a pdf file that can be downloaded and printed) to get started. I think that things that are so clear to you and perhaps others are not clear to me (and probably many others). I've read the Quick Reference and the online articles/documentation along with many discussions on various online forums but still have not been able to set up a "track" (a loop around my home's subdivision) even though I think I've set up a start/finish point. I know it should be easy to add intermediate triggers and start the timer, but I can't figure it out.

I'm excited when I see what others are experiencing and know that I will get there, but it really should be more obvious. Any suggestions?

Again, thank you.

Steve K.
I just purchased LT Pro after seeing what some others can do with it but I too am astonished that there is no documentation that I can download to study. What do you do when you need to reference something but don't have access to the I'net? A PDF file made from your HTML files should be easy enough to create and then all us newbies could study it better...or just create a large HTML file that we can d/l and use with our browser. Thanks.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

I also think laptimer documentation would be useful, as a web document and viewable by browser.
Not being too much up on computer stuff, could it be done, cooperatively amongst ourselves, as a blog or wiki?

What's required?
Website, blog or wiki hosting.
Someone to define the chapters of the manual
Someone to allocate writing individual chapters of the manual
Someone to edit the chapters for consistancy
Someone to proof the text and that information is correct and accurate.
Harry's approval for the project, plus use of the existing documentation as a start point
Harry has overall approval, if he's not happy with the way it''s shaping up then he has the authority to cancel the project, as anything done here reflects on HLT.

Alternatively, is there a way to repurpose the documentation, as is, and turn it into a manual?

H
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Have you checked the link to documentation in this thread's first article? It is still not complete but by far broader and more in detail than documentation of any other app I've seen on the app store? Moving it to pdf is copy paste and reformatting. I've started this but cannot do anything the same time ;-)

Thanks for the help offered however, great users here :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
db2xpert
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by db2xpert »

Is something broken in this online documentation area?
I get the first Intro screen - which won't print, gives 3 pages, second one is blank, and first has parts missing.
Clicking on either of the Next arrows simply takes me to this forum.

Thanks,
Joel