Direct transfer of GoPro video to ipad to sync with data?

Any discussion on using LapTimer. Please use this forum in case you need guidance on how to use LapTimer or perform a certain operation
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Direct transfer of GoPro video to ipad to sync with data?

Post by Cloud9...68 »

When I first learned about Harry's Laptimer as I was researching different data acquisition options, I developed a vision of how I wanted it to work: As one of maybe four people left on the planet who doesn't own a smart phone, I had to go a different route than the majority of HLT users. I had gotten a GoPro Hero4 from my family for Fathers Day, and my wife owned an iPad mini, so I envisioned a system where for a minimal cash outlay, I could record my lap data on the ipad using HLT while recording video with the GoPro. Then, I wanted to download the video to the ipad after I finished my session, sync it with the data from HLT, and play my laps back while at the track, allowing me to show my laps to other drivers and instructors to help figure out where I had opportunities to go faster.

Easier said than done. After spending a lot of time and getting a ton of guidance from Harry, I managed to get the GoPro to consistently record video of my track sessions, but I learned that to sync the video with the data, I had to first download the video file to my desktop computer, open iTunes on the computer, connect the ipad to the computer's USB port, open the ipad icon, open HLT from within the Apps menu in iTunes, drag and drop the video into the file that contains the HLT files, disconnect the ipad from the computer, open the HLT ap on the ipad, select a lap from within the session the video was taken from, and select re-link. This produces an excellent quality video that's perfectly synced with the data, but it's a a lot of steps, and can't be done at the track.

So, I was wonding if it would be possible to download the video to the ipad mini directly by removing the GoPro's SD card after my session, inserting it into a lightening to SD card reader such as this one:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJYT2 ... r?fnode=91

then syncing the video with the data right on the ipad within the HLT ap. Harry told me he thinks it's possible, because the media read should place the video into the Photo ap library, and then I should be able to relink the video and the data as described above, but without having to go through iTunes on a remote computer.

That sounds great, as it would accomplish what I set out to do, but Harry told me he's never actually tried it. Have any HLT users out there who use a GoPRO for their video recording ever tried what I'm describing here? Any problems, or words of advice? Thanks.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Direct transfer of GoPro video to ipad to sync with data?

Post by gplracerx »

I bought the adapter, but I've been at an event this weekend and didn't have time to try it yet.
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Great - anxious to hear if it works the way I hope. Having this capability would make HLT an extremely valuable tool (not that it isn't already), as it would provide nearly realtime feedback on a decent-sized screen for very low cost, compared to a stand-alone system.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Transferring the video was quick and easy. When you plug the adapter with SD card into the iPad, you get a selection screen with all the videos on the SD card. You can select individual videos and just transfer them. It took about 40 seconds for an 8 minute video. Then the videos are in the photo app and you can add one to a lap in the add video process by scrolling down to camera roll and selecting it. I think it's faster than transferring from the SD card to a PC and then transferring to the iPad with iTunes. You'll need a micro SD adapter to use the SD card from a Hero3 or higher, but a lot of micro SD cards come with adapters. I haven't tried a Hero3 video, it may be a little trickier, what with the thumbnails and all on the SD card.
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Thanks for confirming that this works - I'm really surprised more people don't take this approach (or maybe they do and I'm just not aware of it), but an ipad Mini is such a convenient size device - small enough to easly mount in a car (I use a RAM mount at the end of an aluminum rod which I've bolted to the floor of my car, putting the ipad within easy arm's reach, even when I'm fully belted in), but with a large enough screen to conveniently view the video with the sync'd data. And you can't beat a GoPro camera for mounting verstility and picture quality. I forgot to mention that I also use an XGPS160, whcih provides a seamless stream of data.

I'm glad you mentioned the fact that the GoPro uses a micro SD card, meaning the adapter in the link in my original post in this thread won't quite work. I'm still very much a neophyte when it comes to this whole field, so could you please give me an example of exactly what type of adapter I would need to be able to transfer video from my Hero4's micro SD card to my iPad mini, which uses a lightning connector (I hope I have all the terms right). Thanks.

Edit: I just found this, which looks like i will work, but it's a bit pricey.

http://www.leefco.com/iaccess

If it's the only option, I'll get it, but are there any less expensive alternatives that you know of?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Ah, so I'd plug the micro SD card from the GoPro into the adapter shown in your first link, then plug the adapter into the SD/lightning connector. Thanks for the clarification.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

You're welcome.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

OK. I've done the whole process. I transferred video from a GoPro Hero SD card to an iPad Mini using the Apple SD to Lightning interface. I transferred lap data by email from an iPhone 4s to the iPad Mini. Then I added a GoPro video to a run on the iPad, which required setting the finish line on the video, and then played the result. It worked just fine. I'd upload to Youtube, but I'm not proud of that run.

As far as I'm concerned, this is by far the most convenient and fastest way to transfer video from any GoPro to an iOS device. The only oddity is that I see two copies of each video in Camera Roll before I link in HLT.
Cloud9...68
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Cloud9...68 »

Hmmm... Well, it took me a long time to get back to this (long story), but I finally successfully recorded a session on my GoPro, and am ready to try directly downloading the video to the ipad. So I bought a Lexar micro SD reader, removed the micro SD card from my GoPro Hero4, plugged it into the reader, and plugged the reader into the ipad mini's lighting connector, expecting to see copies of my videos pop up on the screen. Instead, I get.... nothing. No indication that anything has been plugged into the ipad. What do I have to do for the ipad to recognize the reader? A google search turned up nothing. Thanks.